AuthorTopic: ABS cycling - sometimes!  (Read 891 times)

Offline LiftedDisco

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
ABS cycling - sometimes!
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:07:03 »
OK... hope someone can shed some light on this one for me...

Have read through the sticky on ABS faults but these all appear to relate to the ABS light staying on, wheras my problem is slightly different.

When pulling up (ie brakes applied), my ABS occasionally cuts in.

There doesn't appear to be any logic to when it will, or won't operate and the ABS light goes out as it should do.

Someone has suggested that it might be sensors - elsewhere I have read that if the front bearings are on their way out, then this can throw the 'activation ring' for the ABS and thereby fool the system into thinking that the wheels are running at different speeds.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
Discovery 300 Tdi - 2" lift, side exit exhaust, HD bumpers, T-Maxx 9500, removable tow hitch, snorkel and 235/85's

Discovery 4 Commercial - very standard but very nice!

Freelander 2 TD4 - Fun Prevention Officer's

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: ABS cycling - sometimes!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 18:02:51 »
Start by checking the wheel bearings and security of the sensors.

According to the manual the sensor secruing ring should be replaced every time the sensor is disturbed.

If that doesn't solve it you need to run a blink test to see what faults are logged on the ECU.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline les baty

Attack Member
  • Bring on the Mud!!
Re: ABS cycling - sometimes!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 21:38:39 »
i had one like this a few years ago and it was the needle bearings inside the stub axle. what was happening was the small needle bearings would fall out and get stuck on the cv with the help of one shot lube where the abs sensor works, now with the small bearing stuck in the grooves the abs sensor is not sure what is happening so throws a little wobbler. we had it happen five times and the fith time the bearing  stayed in place so after investigating found the problem, hope this helps
One Les Live It!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal