AuthorTopic: 300tdi glow plugs - un-needed weight.  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
300tdi glow plugs - un-needed weight.
« on: September 09, 2010, 16:20:27 »
are just there to fill the holes in the head.

Of all the half dozen tdi engines I have played with I have not come across one working glow plug and have had to replace with new for myself and others. What's the normal life span? It's not as though you can tell they are dead - the dash bulb glows normally and the timer relay on the 300tdi clicks away and the voltage at the glow plug terminal is present and yet the plug is dead dead dead.

I know the plugs are not needed on a direct injection tdi (non edc models at least) other than maybe in extreme cold climates and its just as well because I think the majority of trucks running around their owner have no idea the plugs are not working.

Reason for rant is I just pulled no.1 glow plug on my truck out of curiosity having change it couple ear ago and tested it on battery and sure enough dead. I am not going to bother replacing them this time unless it's obvious that truck isn't starting on the button during deep winter.  Anyhow - whilst plug was out I checked the compression and got 420psi compared to 380psi of 3 years ago when i got engine - all good there then  :D
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
Re: 300tdi glow plugs - un-needed weight.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 17:44:03 »
Your right about the stupid little things,if it works ,leave it!!!!!!!!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 13:46:58 »
My sister's doesn't start well without them.  I checked the piston projecttion when I did the head too so it's got the right compression.  Annoyingly we swapped the head because one of the glow plugs was seized in and had been snapped off already.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 13:54:57 »
My sister's doesn't start well without them.  I checked the piston projecttion when I did the head too so it's got the right compression.  Annoyingly we swapped the head because one of the glow plugs was seized in and had been snapped off already.
is her truck an auto with edc?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 14:14:11 »
Auto without EDC.  It's got new injectors too.  The fuse for the glowplugs burned out and without it it was a cow to start.  It still turns over sluggishly even with a split charge system.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 14:18:51 »
Auto without EDC.  It's got new injectors too.  The fuse for the glowplugs burned out and without it it was a cow to start.  It still turns over sluggishly even with a split charge system.

my reading last few days suggests Auto 300tdi are ofen a pig for cold starting but I thought it was restricted to edc models where it doesn't advance the pump timing always as it should and so rely on the glow plugs being tip top. There may be an auto 300tdi fly by wire toy on the drive very soon so have been reading all the horror stories.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal