AuthorTopic: 300tdi Drinking engine oil  (Read 2459 times)

Offline thediscodude

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Im a filthy whore who needs a service!!
    • in the fields boi
  • Referrals: 0
300tdi Drinking engine oil
« on: September 07, 2010, 20:57:23 »
Filled it up as i replaced brake vaccum pump (also replaced fuel lift pump, turbo and timing belt) about 3 weeks ago drain and re - filled with i think its the 6.6litres its ment to have and it was really good stuff, since then my oil light has came on and nothing showing on dipstick so 2 weeks later i put another 4 litres in and it just showed on the dipstick and now a week later my lights is on again, all the while there is no major leakage underneath, i have a crack in my dipstick which is only causing a little leak, it smokes quite alot of white smoke for a little while after starting but not on tick over. running is fine starting fine no kinked air pipes which i heard could cause smoke, its an m reg 300tdi around 190,000 miles, blanked egr valve, any help would be much appreciated
300tdi disco,2'' lift, flexi arches, steering guard, diff guards,straight through exhaust to cherry bomb, insa turbo dakars, light bar, mushroom snorkel, cb radio, 2 black and blue cobra bucket seats,. . . so far :D #cumbucket

Offline white disco

Attack Member
Re: 300tdi Drinking engine oil
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:12 »
sounds like piston rings may have gone or going and oil is being pushed past them at revs when oil pressure is higher

white disco

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:14:00 »
I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about will come along and make a post any week now, meanwhile...take the oil filler cap off and see if its chuffing like a train. My m8's 200tdi had a badly worn engine and a lot of blow back evident from the filler cap - engine started to feed of its own oil and revs ran away - lucky enough he stopped it by blocking the air intake before total destruction, engine still needed a
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:43:50 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Lumbering Jack

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 13:25:59 »
I was going to mention worn turbo - I had a hilux which was using oil and if left ticking over for a few minutes the revs would start to increase and then it would start smoking like a good'un.as it was running on it's oil too.  Fortunately  :roll: it cracked it's head before it got bad enough rev up on it's own too much.
R reg 3.9 Discovery on LPG - pretty standard at mo.

Offline thediscodude

Attack Member
  • Im a filthy whore who needs a service!!
    • in the fields boi
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 19:15:49 »
just replaced turbo and it looked like new, but it is whistling quite loud and funnily
300tdi disco,2'' lift, flexi arches, steering guard, diff guards,straight through exhaust to cherry bomb, insa turbo dakars, light bar, mushroom snorkel, cb radio, 2 black and blue cobra bucket seats,. . . so far :D #cumbucket

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 22:10:12 »
Turbos do whistle, more so when new or clean (might be more noisey if the boost is tweaked too :-k)

but worth checking to see if the breather is feeding oil droplets into the turbo inlet, the engine then burns the oil and when bad it can run away. Check to see if the turbo inlet is filthy, it comes from the breather connected just ahead if it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal