AuthorTopic: A Winch Question - Thinking of buying my first one.  (Read 2473 times)

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
A Winch Question - Thinking of buying my first one.
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:18:00 »
I'm thinking of getting a winch for my Disco.

It would be used for recovery/self recovery but definately not Challenges! If the last year is typical - it would have been used five times. Something like this.

Question? The front of my Disco is a little "busy" with a Defender A bar, spotlights, Saudi grille, LED driving lights and a D44 winch bumper. Would I need to cut the coloured grille surround or mesh to gain access to the lever?

Any other thoughts?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:30:57 by auf_wiedersehen_pet »
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: A Winch Question - Thinking of buying my first one.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 16:02:52 »
I think with that bumper you would have to cut the grille to clear the winch. I know when I bought my winch bumper I spent some time looking for one which wouldn't need the grille to be cut when I eventually get a winch. The resulting bumper sticks out a lot more than yours as it pretty much has the winch tray in front of the grille.

Just need to get it adjusted to fit properly and then I can think about a winch!  :lol:
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Highland_Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 18:19:30 »
There really isnt a winch that you could put there that wouldnt need the grille cutting.

Try to get one that has the solenoid pack seperate instead of bridged over the drum, that will save the cutting and be less obtrusive looking.
06 Mitsubishi L200 animal-BFG A/T 265-70-17, Midland cb, twin arials, 4 light force 170 lights (for sale)!! Cheap to a good home

Landrover 3.5v8 90-Tree sliders, steering guard, tank guard, light bar, 8 spokes with xzl's

Yamaha 350 Bigbear 4x4-Front VIPER Elite winch, Rear VIPER Elite demount winch, Warn spot lights, 28" tyres

www.nessoffroad.co.uk

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 21:32:36 »
Hi.

With your current bumper you will need a bit of reconstructive surgery to mount a winch, A bit less if you do go for a winch with a removable Solenoid pack as this can be repositioned up in the engine bay alongside the remote controller pack and the kill switch. Try getting the dimensions for the winch and then measure up the height from the tray to see where about it would sit.
On a personal note having a winch tray stuck out in front would have me worrying all the time when parking in town that i would "mate" with the car in front. Not to matter that i don't think it looks right. I like the look of your truck and having a low line winch tucked away in the front would suit it better, But thats my feelings. Ohh and i have just fitted a winch too mine.  :D

Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline mobi

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 11:10:49 »
i have enought room to move mine back behind the grille, which i'l do when i fit the mesh grille. if you look at www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/ he does a air freespool to fit superwinch and tds range, but you can move the freespool on these winchs.

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 19:38:17 »
If you're clever, and lucky with where the bolt holes are in the tray, you might get away with only cutting away the very bottom bar of the grill, on my truck, i had en EP9, and i mounted the solenoid inside the grill area, which means farting about making new cables, but i thought it was worth it, i had mine switched inside with the remote socket mounted on my grill.... as you might just about be able to make out....

gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline yaki_r

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 13:23:56 »
Disco-Ron, can you send more pics on your winch mount solution?
Thanks, Yaki

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 23:23:12 »
Disco-Ron, can you send more pics on your winch mount solution?
Thanks, Yaki

Not really......... i have now sold the truck.... sorry....!

Its was a golddigger 4x4 bumper, but he went bust, his name is carl hurst, he was a little while ago selling them on ebay..... i simply mounted my ep9 on the bumper, and mounted the solenoid away from the winch to make it as discrete as possible...... which i think worked....:)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Landrover-discovery-200300-TDI-V8-and-auto-winch-bumper-/160466567363?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 23:27:05 by Disco-Ron »
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal