AuthorTopic: By Passing the Heater Matrix.  (Read 1095 times)

Offline sogster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
By Passing the Heater Matrix.
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:18:10 »
Here goes,

I have just traveled over 500 miles on holiday after replacing my radiator and viscous coupling after previous overheating issues. On the journey to my holiday destination the disco didn't miss a single beat. After a couple of days I checked my levels and found that the coolant needed topping up by about a litre. I put this down to probably a slight air lock or just because it may have had to work quite hard on the journey to the south west.

Yesterday I was out on a shortish journey (30/40 miles) when i decided to pop the air-con on for a bit to cool us down. Then shortly after just happened to look at the gauges and saw my Temp gauge was at bursting point. I quickly pulled over and popped the bonnet to assess the damage, but there wasn't the heat I was expecting to feel under their. We left it a while and then took the header tank cap off to see how much water was there, and it was quite low. Then i took the top Bung out from above the water pump and it was empty and the surrounding pipes also seemed empty. I topped up the water with a couple of litres that we had spare but this made very little difference. So we popped to a local garage and glugged a few more litres in and got back to our site.

After having had a matrix problem in the past, I lifted my passenger side carpets to check it was all dry........ and to my horror it was ringing wet. So this is leading me to think the matrix may have gone again. Thinking back to when my last one went I remembered my rev counter was playing up, and this had just started to play up as well. The guy mentioned something to do with the damp in the wiring under the carpets.

So now I am thinking I might need to bypass my matrix so I can limp home with the wobble box. Does anyone out there know which pipes I need to disconnect and join together as I don't have my manual to hand. Any pictures with arrows would be a great bonus as I'm not the most clued up guy on engines.

Many thanks in advance,

Sogster.

1998 50th anv Landrover Discovery Tdi      S834 FVC.

23 ft Swift Challenger 490se 2000 model

Previously owned,
1991 Landrover Discovery Tdi 5 door,        H529 KWK.

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
Re: By Passing the Heater Matrix.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:55:08 »
yes the pipes come into the engine bay two pipes just at the side of the head on the drivers side remove these then find a bit of steel/ copper pipe the right size to join the two together .
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline sogster

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 21:59:22 »
Thanks Lurch,

I'm guessing its the two pipes just to the side of the derv filter? As they appear to go into the car!

Sogster.
1998 50th anv Landrover Discovery Tdi      S834 FVC.

23 ft Swift Challenger 490se 2000 model

Previously owned,
1991 Landrover Discovery Tdi 5 door,        H529 KWK.

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 14:57:14 »
Thanks Lurch,

I'm guessing its the two pipes just to the side of the derv filter? As they appear to go into the car!

Sogster.

they sound like the ones.... good luck
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:12:44 »
Yes they come out of the firewll alaongside the derv filter and run behind the engine.  they should be clamped here but if ever removed they will be loose, then they can fret and wear through here.  Ask me how I know.

One goes into the head, this is the hot water out of the engine.  The other goes into a rail mounted under the exhauist manifold studs, at the front of this rail is connects to a spur on the bottom hose.

You need to connect the 2 together somehow but be careful that any bends or kinks don't fret on sharp edges.

You might find a length of 22mm heating pipe will do the trick, or a lenght of 15mm with straight "yorkshire" connectors on the ends to provide a hose location.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal