AuthorTopic: Check your bonnet catches...  (Read 709 times)

Offline Disco Matt

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Check your bonnet catches...
« on: August 12, 2010, 10:12:30 »
No, mine hasn't pancaked onto the windscreen, but I think I might have just prevented it in time!

Yesterday evening I noticed that the bonnet was sitting a mm or two high, and wobbled when closed (but the catch seemed to be working properly). Further investigation this morning found that the pin which drops into the striker plate (and the catch engages with) had worked loose. It's screwed into the bonnet mounting plate with a locknut to allow for adjustment, and a few turns of shiny steel were visible. As I have never touched this (and the screwdriver notch on the end was full of mud, so it evidently hadn't been disturbed intentionally) I can only assume that it caught some WD40 at some point and then slowly worked loose from vibration. If it had carried on turning then presumably it would have unscrewed from the bonnet and allowed it to flip up at speed.

Problem now fixed by screwing it back in and tightening the locknut. I'm wondering if this may have caused a few of the bonnet catch failures I've heard mentioned. I don't want to fit bonnet pins as the standard mechanism has been fine for 14 years and I see no reason for it to prove weak, if properly adjusted and lubricated.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Check your bonnet catches...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:26:09 »
On RRC the catch mechanisim can bend, it then sticks and doesn't lock properly.  There should be a safety catch fitted for just this eventuality.

One reason bonnet pins became popular is that the bonnet doesn't twist with the body and this can make it break free, but then the RRC bonnet is a clampshell and as suchh much bigger than the Disco.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal