AuthorTopic: rangerover auto box into discovery 200 series  (Read 1057 times)

Offline scatt

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
rangerover auto box into discovery 200 series
« on: August 11, 2010, 22:23:06 »
Hi All, Would like to pick your brains for a little info. I have been offered an auto box with t/box from a 89 3.5 v8 rangerover and want to know whats involved to fit it into a 3.5 v8 discovery of the same year?? obviously the rangerover would have a viscous coupling so could i put the t/box out of the disco on the auto from the rr??????

Any and all advice is gratefully recieved :D

Cheers Scatt

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
Re: rangerover auto box into discovery 200 series
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 22:38:13 »
V8 box has got the wrong ratios for a tdi, you will need an auto box from a desiel 200/300  :(

John
John.

Offline scatt

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 23:09:18 »
Hi John, thanks for the reply i dont know if its how i typed it but there BOTH 3.5 V8  :dance:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 23:17:43 »
The V8 engines are mchined identically on auto and manual.  you need to remove the flywheel and bolt on an adapter, then the starter plate and rin gear.  Next goes on the flex plate spacer followed by the flex plate and finally it's support ring.

onto the flex plate bolt the torque converter as you assembly the engine and gearbox.

The transfer box is fully interchangeable with the LT3230 or Borg-Warner but later LT230 had cross-drilled inputs shafts and need longer splines on the gearbox output shaft, though fitting a later box to an earlier car isn't an issue.
you will need the appropriate engine radiator with cooling for the auto box, the pipeswork and the bog brush (which was fitted to many manual 3.9 gearboxs)

You need the shifter, the transfer box lever and bracket, the console insert and sound deadening.

There's some wiring too but you may find it;s already on your car up to the multiplug above the gearbox.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline scatt

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 20:16:23 »
Thats basiclly what i wanted someone to tell me. The only thing i dont have is the car it came out of, the gearbox was removed by the person im buying it off. Im told it has the relevant bits for the torque converter, the main thing i dont have is the auto selector and pedal box if its needed?? will i need to change anything on the throttle for the kick down??

lastly anyone got a 200 series auto they might be breaking or scrapping. ;)

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 02:21:01 »
The kick-down cable goes into the throttle cable braket below the spindle and lower/behind the throttle cable.  When you stomp on the loud pedal the kick-down should get pulled out.  It routes down the back of the engine, missing the exhaust.

Pedal box, ideally you should fit the bigger brake pedal but you can just remove the clutch for now, othert than that it's all the same.

Auto selector come up on E-Bay now and then, I bought a spare one.  You need the shifter handle and the console insert, the lever in a manual goes onto differnet bracket on top of the gearbox IIRC.

On the back of the engine you need everything from the crank backwards and as the first adapter is very hard to shift you'll be lucky if it was taken off for you.

You need the oiul cooler pipes from the gearbox to the radiator/bog brush coolers.  Luckily you can extend/modify them with hydraulic flexi hose, they run at about 1 bar so if you make the joints secure it will be fine.

Mine is currenlty spread all over teh drive, you could have popped round and had a look ;)
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline scatt

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 08:21:52 »
Is there somewhere i can get a brake down of the components in the bell housing (e.g list or pictures) would it be in a haynes manual??.

Do i need a rrc selector or can i use a 200/300 disco one??

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:25:08 »
If the selector was for a ZF 4 speed then it's the same thing.  Haynes manual might well have a picture but the LR manual is better on this I think.  Trouble is which one.

The 300 TDi manual includes the R380 and LT230, nothing else and the V8 manual has no gearboxs in it IIRC so choose carefully.

Offline scatt

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 10:17:31 »
nothing is ever easy when its mine  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal