Vehicle & Technical > Military

What size of wheels do I need for a 80,000 lbs military vehicle off road?

<< < (3/4) > >>

dxmedia:
Have a look on youtube for a tatra 813 (god I love those things), it's got 4 axles but split into two pairs. Both pairs sit on bogeys so work indipendently of the chassis. They will travel over any terrain - Mean ANY :D

There's a great review on difflock of driving one - basically if you don't get over the top of the hill first time, back up and try again. Once you've flattened the hill you'll be able to carry on ;) :D

dxmedia:

--- Quote from: Grumpy on August 11, 2010, 11:10:00 ---Your gonna need more wheels it's going to ground it's self quite easily

--- End quote ---

Apparently russia disagree with you ;)

That'll be a Baz5921 missile launcher from the cold war.

Skibum346:

--- Quote from: Peter Dow on August 11, 2010, 14:26:40 ---Plus anyway I need to keep at least one guy in the trailer to operate the tail gun.

--- End quote ---
Think you need to read up more on the weapon stations you've shown in your diagram. They areremote weapon stations. That means the "gunner" can be anywhere in the vehicle Come to think of it... in this day and age he doesn't even need to be IN the vehicle!

tack43:
Interesting project. As said above an 8x8 configuration simular to the Fuchs would be better. Can't remember what size they are but the wheels and tyres from a Leyland-Daf DROPS may be what you are looking for. The DROPS is an 8 wheeler with a bridging weight of 32000 kg or over 55000 kg depending on trailer.

Hope this helps

Rich

wormster:
Put some armor on the propshafts please. It looks kinda vunerable at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version