AuthorTopic: TD5 Rear Hub/Bearing  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Def90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 Rear Hub/Bearing
« on: July 27, 2010, 14:02:41 »
Recently had the old girl MOT'd, it passed, but I recieved an advisory that there was oil on the rear wheel - On investigation I found that there was quite a bit of oil all over the brake assembly. Looking at the manual I think it can only be one of two things, either the O ring seal has gone or the seal on the wheel bearing is failing.

What are peoples experiences of TD5 rear hubs?

My thoughts are, that I can't see any reason for the O Ring to fail, as it's not as if it's a moving part and that to get to the O ring I need to take the bearing off anyway, so should plan on replacing the O ring and the bearing?

Has anyone come across a photo guide for the replacement of the rear hub bearing on a TD5?

Offline andycwb

Attack Member
Re: TD5 Rear Hub/Bearing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 16:08:25 »
You have to replace the hubs as an assembly on the Td5.
"You came here in *that thing*?  You're braver than I thought."
Td5 Discovery, TD5 Alive Re-Map, QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel
Steering Guard, FT-8900 radio, roof rack

Offline Def90

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 16:39:28 »
Hi Andy,

Yes I realise you have to replace the hub assembly  - I suppose the question I'm asking (Which I didn't express well) is what are peoples experiences of this issue, do O rings fail often, or is it always the bearing/hub seal?

If i'm going to take the hub off to get at the O ring, is it worth while replacing the Hub as a matter of course, as to rent or borrow the over sized torque wrench has to be a factor in undertaking the job?

What do you guy think - I'm still trying to track down a picture guide for the procedure - I have Disco 1 wheel bearing links coming out of my ears, some good Disco II front guides, but I have been unable to find a picture guide for th rear - any links would be very welcome

Offline disco2 td5

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 23:17:44 »
Personaly I'd only change the o ring because hubs for a td5 are expensive

I changed a rear hub n all I did were do it as tight as I could with a 18 inch beaker bar

Offline Def90

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 20:33:09 »
Well by way of an up date and closure - I have replaced the Hub/Bearing - Straight forward job, once I found a big enough Torque wrench and someone to stand on the brakes for me.

O ring was fine - As suspected the seal on the bearing had started to leak

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal