AuthorTopic: Defender Tracking  (Read 7418 times)

Offline Def90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Defender Tracking
« on: July 21, 2010, 23:07:59 »
Can anyone explain how to set the tracking on a defender 110?
I have been told that I can measure this using a rod between the wheel rims or a piece of string  - but having searched the forums can't find a definative method for setting the tracking.

If anyone can explain this or point me to a picture article that explains this, that would be very helpfull

Cheers

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
Re: Defender Tracking
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 06:57:53 »
Right..........  get a piece of string and hold one end against the inside of the tyre at about 3 o clock or the rearmost point depending on your position when looking at the tyre from under the vehicle, pull the string tight across to the other tyre at the same position (replicating the track rod but on the tyres).
Mark the string where it meets the other tyre with the string tight, measure this distance and you will have one of the figures you need.
Replicate with the string at the 9 o clock or front most point of the tyre and you will have the second figure.
The aim is to get the distance at the front to be 1mm less that the distance at the back.
Adjustment is made by loosening the end clamps on the track rod and turning the whole rod.
It wont take much movement to get the wheels to change distance at the points as they pivot in the middle.
So if you unscrew the tract rod to make the front distance 3mm shorter then the rear will have lenghtened by 3mm making the overall change 6mm.

It just takes time and patience, first time for doing it is always the hardest.
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline Def90

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:21:36 »
Excellent - just what I needed
One final question, I have seen people mention 1230mm in some posts, is this the distance I should be aiming for between the tyes?

Cheers

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:31:48 »
Excellent - just what I needed
One final question, I have seen people mention 1230mm in some posts, is this the distance I should be aiming for between the tyes?

Cheers

You can't define this because of different wheel offsets and tyre widths. What you are aiming to achieve is the correct difference between the front and rear of the wheels.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:36:38 »
You shouldnt really do it from the tyres because they have scuffs on or different wrighting on the side or even different pressure will create different bulging of tyres,you must always do it from the rim bearing in mind the rim are the same and straight!! :shock: :shock:
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 14:48:37 »
.............. bearing in mind the rim are the same and straight!! :shock: :shock:

ish  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Def90

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 14:54:40 »
Thanks guys - to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, I have been reading a thread where they talk about measuring from the centre of the ball joint nuts on the end of the track rod - they quote something like 1025mm, This seems sensible as this point will alway be fixed regardless of wheels, tyre, bent track rod etc

What are your thoughts on this, is this a know practice or would you still recommend the tyre/rim measurement method?

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 17:23:43 »
i do mine on the inside of the tyre with the front end jacked up so there is no weight on the tyres because the inside of my rims are all dinged and dented, cant find a flat anywhere on them.
Plus, with 35s im not too worried if it isnt exact  :D
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 21:28:50 »
did mine with a length of wood with a screw in each end, no stretch from the string
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 22:14:17 »
did mine with a length of wood with a screw in each end, no stretch from the string

wood, that how I used to do it back in day on rides like a fiesta, metro or mini, Get the tracking set but garage by the non YTS guy and then make up length of wood to suit so I could do it myself for ever more on what ever car I hadn't written off yet. Not ever done tracking on landrover though, the tyre wear seems to be fine and even on both defender and series without concerns of tracking.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal