AuthorTopic: DEFENDER FRONT BRAKE PROBLEM  (Read 1163 times)

Offline UK CRAIG

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Essex
  • Referrals: 0
DEFENDER FRONT BRAKE PROBLEM
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:54:54 »
Can someone please tell me the most likely cause for front passenger side brake not working very well? it seems fine when the car is cold but gets bad once it has warmed up!!

I recently bought the car and haven't checked anything yet so the most common faults would be appreciated, thanks, Craig.
'89 LR 90 - 4.2 V8 auto - 37" Creepy Crawlers - 16x10 Modulars & beadlocks

Offline fuzzy

Attack Member
  • my lovely s3 military, Percy
Re: DEFENDER FRONT BRAKE PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:07:57 »
if its just the one brake not performing correctly it could be something so silly as air in the system which simply requires bleeding, or a duff calliper needing either rebuilding or replacing this could have failed in a couple of ways, either its partially seized which is preventing the piston from squeezing the pads onto the disc or its seized with the pads applied which is overheating the disc and pads resulting in brake fade as the heat builds up meaning the brake performance is ruined. In any case it does require some pretty urgent attention. Brakes are the one thing it's best not to take shortcuts on. While on my apprenticeship the old boy teaching me once said 'Do you reckon 99% in an exam is good?' (We all would say yes) 'Well how about if you 99% of your brakes jobs well and got the last 1% wrong? That definitely wouldn't be good.' Moral of the story is; if you are in any way unsure it is always best to get professional help.
1980 s111 109 ex military 12v gs soft top- waiting to have life breathed back into it.
1990 110 2.5td, waiting for crew cab conversion, mud tyres, suspension and 2"lift.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: DEFENDER FRONT BRAKE PROBLEM
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 22:10:37 »
How do you know it isn't woking very well? does it pull to one side when you brake :-k
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal