AuthorTopic: Corrosion problem what would you do ???  (Read 1240 times)

Offline sighnbox

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Corrosion problem what would you do ???
« on: May 29, 2010, 20:01:35 »
Hi there Ive got a small amount of Corrosion appear on my 20 year old 110 ......Most of the panels are new the 4 main doors bonnet etc ec.... It was re sprayed about 5 years ago now and still very good but Ive a small amount of bubbling tho it is hard and not powder yet above the back cross member (see images)

OK please look at the pics and what would you do ...
Just leave it ?,
attach the polished stainless steel plate Ive cut with a land rover union badge like paper one on image ?,
Spray the stainless blue to match the Landy then attach it ?
Or cut a bit of alli like the stainless and spray it blue to match ?..........

To try and stop further corrosion I was going to make a barrier between the plate and the original panel by spraying the back of the plate with spray rubber.   Dose any one know of any thing I can do to all so try and stop more of it ? Ive Heard of attaching blocks like they do on boats any ideas ??  Thanks Paul

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 20:19:35 by sighnbox »
One Life Live It......If you Can afford it

Offline sighnbox

Attack Member
Re: Corrosion problem what would you do ???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 20:04:00 »
Ment to say obveously I will cut a plate for both sides so it matches.
One Life Live It......If you Can afford it

Offline frosty

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 21:18:39 »
hi
   if im honest i think you should give up and scrap the landy..i understand that this would be terribly traumatic so if you just drop it round to mine with the v5 ill sort it for you! lol

funnily enough ive got the same problem with my 20yr old 90..that was resprayed etc but the bubbling ive got is in the middle of pannels, not on the bottoms like yours....but image 2 with the stainless plae gets my vote..very tidy
90..standardish

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 21:29:30 »
stainless and alloy don't mix due to galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals you'll  need a non conductive barrier between them or you will get rapid corrosion of that alloy panel i.e you likely made things worse. The corrosion you have there at moment is galvanic corrosion between the mild steel of the cross member mounts and the alloy panel. You need to re-establish a barrier - in the case of landrover that was originally achieved with primer and paint. I think there are discussions elsewhere of sandwiching rubber between mount and panel to help reduce reaction. That is certainly the method I seen used in industry within the oil sector where stainless brackets meet mild steel frames, the barrier was thin rubber sheet or rolls cut up and sandwiched between.  The threads  of the 316 stainless bracket fixing bolts had to be coated with a insulating solution - not sure what other than it was yellow and stayed solvent :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 21:33:20 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 23:00:29 »
Agreed, there are "treatments" that will slow down the progress of the corrosion and I would be tempted to dig the worst out, treat it and paint it then cover it with ally chequer plate or even use a plastic trim to cover it rather than stainless.

Stainless is a more "noble" metal, it's the chrome that protects the steel but like mild steel it will sacrifice the ally to protect the steel.

Also agree that it's likely the barrier was lost whilst the respray was being done, re-establish with rubber or thin plastic sheet.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline billiejoe

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:12:53 »
get some mud on it!!! wont see the rust then!

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 20:45:32 »
In another 10 years the whole motor will be covered in stainless!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal