AuthorTopic: transfer swap  (Read 1157 times)

Offline jasonforsythe

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
transfer swap
« on: May 26, 2010, 15:25:28 »
hi after mucking up my box i have now bit the bullet and bought anothe box no how tricky is it to swap the transfers over ie do i need to replace anything or need any special tools

nearly there jason

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: transfer swap
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 16:32:49 »
hi after mucking up my box i have now bit the bullet and bought anothe box no how tricky is it to swap the transfers over ie do i need to replace anything or need any special tools

nearly there jason

Check the ratio of the box is what you're expecting i.e 1.4* defender or 1.2* disco and not some odd ball ratio from a auto or something.
Remove the PTO cover, bearing carrier and the input gear so you can inspect the splines - replace with new if not cross drilled - seriously ...do not neglect to do that. Make sure the difflock  lever is clean and working. Check speedo pickup is same as old one (swap it out if needed).
Some people can lift and fit the box with arm strength alone, I can't - I needed help by stacking sandbags/ blocks under it to get to a height where I could slide into place. It just a nut and bolt job otherwise. Linkages can be a bit of a fiddle.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 16:35:51 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Disco-andy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 21:21:46 »
i put a disco one in mine last week, first time iv done the job. took about 4hrs.

I put it a srtap on the box and lifted it from above then transfered it to a troly jack to get it in place.

Offline jasonforsythe

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 14:43:35 »
is the point of the cross drilled just to aid oil flow?

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 15:06:10 »
is the point of the cross drilled just to aid oil flow?

yes, and it's essential oil is delivered to the splines. If it's an old box (70k plus) and it hasn't got a cross drilled already fitted then odds are it's already worn and shagged and will go pop at worst moment leaving you stranded without any drive.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhfmtstj_0ghdpj7jh&hl=en

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 16:11:19 »
Mine had done about 140,000 miles and the output shaft from the gearbox was also totally shot. That adds a tad more work and a little more than 4 hours!

What it should look like:

Don't forget, if you do replace the input gear, you will need to set up the correct end float by checking with a dti and installing the correct shims.

Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 16:18:33 »

Don't forget, if you do replace the input gear, you will need to set up the correct end float by checking with a dti and installing the correct shims.

can do it with spring scale too with a special pulley on a shaft that fits into the input gear, it's in one of the older manuals (can get away with skilful wrapping a pull cord around the PTO gear teeth though and the required lb has large tolerance). It was what I was worried about when I did mine recently - think I posted on a thread about it around last November.
When I first took the box off my 300tdi I was worried as what I would find seeing gearbox/tranny had done +150k but being crossed drilled there was no sign of wear.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 16:44:52 by Saffy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal