AuthorTopic: Coughs but won't start  (Read 1601 times)

Offline paulmmc

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Coughs but won't start
« on: May 10, 2010, 15:28:17 »
After fitting new head gaskets and timing chain I can't get the engine to run again. Every time i turn the key the engine very briefly fires up then cuts out straight away.
I am thinking its a timing problem but using a timing light at least shows the timing is perfect, No1 is firing at exactly TDC, although i have turned the dizzy both directions to check if slight advance or retard helps to no avail.
I'm thinking the timing is out from fitting the new chain and sprockets but i thought i followed the Haynes manual to the letter, but this is the first time i've ever done it before. Obviously the marks on the sprockets lined up but maybe the camshaft was not correctly orientated to the crankshaft, i.e. one or other was a revolution out or something similar. Before i take the timing cover off again this weekend abd start again is there anything i need to look out for? Any tips for a timing newbee?

Or maybe it isn't timing at all? All plugs are sparking and don't think its fuel related as the engine won't start on 'easy start' and when i took the plugs out i could smell petrol.

Any help much appreciated

1987 RRC 3.5 V8 Efi

Cheers, Paul
1981 Series III, Petrol SWB
1987 Rangie 3.5V8 Auto
(Both of the above soon to become one hybrid!)

Offline piggysteve

Attack Member
Re: Coughs but won't start
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 16:58:05 »
When you say briefly fires up, how long for ? As if it runs for a few seconds and then dies I would be looking at fuel starvation. Mind you your plugs smell of fuel Mmmm.
Ok stating the obvious are your plug leads on in the right order, seen that done before has fuel and a spark but won't run
Ex pat Yorkshireman.

P38 diesel

Offline paulmmc

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 16:59:43 »
It fires up for a couple of seconds only, leads are definately in the right order, disconnected and reconnected them many times and always as per Haynes manual
1987 Rangie 3.5V8 Auto

Offline Bigjohn

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 13:32:27 »
Would it be 180d out?

Offline les baty

Attack Member
  • Bring on the Mud!!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 19:10:47 »
im with bigjon on this one , it sounds like its trying to fire on the wrong stroke......180 degrees????? might be a bit more than that
One Les Live It!!!!!

Offline paulmmc

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:12:35 »
Bloody relays!!!!!

After much cursing i finally got it going. It dawned on me that if it keeps starting briefly it is probably the cold start injector firing but not the others, so i checked them with a multi meter and lo and behold it was. After a bit of reading on diagnosis i saw a comment about not using Lucas type relays in place of Bosch type for the main relays, so when i checked i was using Lucas type so swapped it over and it fired straight away. The annoying thing is the Lucas type does click on and off when you turn the key which is why i thought it was fine as i previously had checked the relays, I must have swapped the correct Bosch one out at some point to make sure it wasn't faulty.
The timing was alright in the end, although i did get it wrong first time by not getting it on compresision stroke, what i did to check it was on compression stroke initially was just to take out No1 spark plug and feel for air being forced out, but now i realise this is stupid as even if the valves were open (which they were) air will still come out of the spark plug hole as the gap around the valves are much smaller, so from now on always remove the rocker cover to check!
Thanks for all the help
1987 Rangie 3.5V8 Auto

Offline vougese39

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 22:52:49 »
how come you did not replace the cam at the same time?
ARMSONAE FIRST AID FOR YOUR LAND ROVER!
THE ONLY UKWIDE MOBILE LAND ROVER SPECALIST
FULL DIAGNOSTICS 1990-2010 MY!
MUDCLUB 10% LABOUR DISCOUNT
http://armsonae.webs.com/  EMAIL armsonae@yahoo.co.uk/ 
SEE ME AT STAND G1,G2,G3 AT LRO PETERBOG 2011

Offline paulmmc

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 09:35:00 »
I didn't think i had to
1987 Rangie 3.5V8 Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal