AuthorTopic: Winch advice needed!  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Landroverstormer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winch advice needed!
« on: April 28, 2010, 21:45:37 »

I need help!!!

I spent much of today fitting a winch bumper and a Superwinch. Both items were purchased new however the bumper is of an unknown make (Fleabay).

Apart from having to order additional cable, my main problem is the fairlead. The Superwinch (8.5) came with a non-roller steel fairlead, however the throat and fixing holes on my bumper are too wide.  The fixing holes are 39cm apart from centre to centre with the throat being slightly narrower (34cm ish).

I have searched ebay and googled all evening to try to find a roller or non-roller steel fairlead to fit the holes, or as a last resort a fairlead which is at least 30cm wide but has 4 top and bottom fixings to straddle the wide throat.

My preference would be a black framed roller fairlead with fixing holes 39cm apart.

If anyone can post up a link to a supplier with such a airlead then I'd be very gratful!

James
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE - 2010
Defender 90 300 TDi Soft-Top - 1996
Mini Cooper Convertible - 2009
Volkswagen 181 Trekker (Thing/Kubelwagon) 1972

Offline jasonslaphead

Attack Member
Re: Winch advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 23:54:47 »
gigglepin 4x4 do extended fairleads to match up with their extended drums on 8274 winches maybe you could try them. but im thinking that a 34cm opening would be wider than the drum on your winch which could cause the cable to rub on the body of the winch when its being pulled in. Is it the lp8500 that you have the drum on that would only be about 25cm wide. I could be wrong but im pretty sure you dont want the fairlead wider than the drum 

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:48:45 »
Non roller fairleads are for kinetic rope aren't they??
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:57:11 »
Non roller fairleads are for kinetic rope aren't they??

kinetic winch line.... hmm that's an interesting idea. Winch winch winch winch 'why isn't this working?' Slurp-BOING... errr the REME recovery manual didn't mention any ballistic flight equations :doh:

synthetic winch line maybe? :lol:

Goodwinch supplied my huge (15.5 inch between mounting hole centres!) alloy hawse fairlead for H14 superwinch bumper, you could try them (£90 quid I think machined to spec).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:37:23 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:38:51 »
kinetic winch line.... hmm that's an interesting idea. Winch winch winch winch 'why isn't this working?' Slurp-BOING... errr the REME recovery manual didn't mention any ballistic flight equations 

HAHA, just spat my tea out on the pc screen when i read that  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Agreed though, try goodwinch, David will prob get one for you
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline Landroverstormer

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 16:57:39 »

I seem to be making some progress!!  It would appear that my bumper was destined for the Electrcity Board and would have therefore accomodated a Husky Hydraulic winch which would eat my SW8500 for breakfast!!

You are right that the rollers need to be a max of the width of the drum to avoid snagging damage.  I was hoping that I could get a roller frame which was wide but had narrower rollers to match my drum.

I need to do some more measuring as it would seem that I have only 3 ptionsnow (as my drum is 25cm wide)...... either I get a plate welded over the hole on the inside of the bumper, or I find a roller fiairlead of 25cm or less which has 4 mounting holes (2 either side top and bottom) to straddle the huge hole in my bumper..... or scrap the bumper!!!

With regard to the other comments, I believe an alloy hawse is a no-no with cable and should only be used with winch rope, however a steel hawse (as supplied with my winch) is fine with wire, but not as good as rollers.

Lastly, a kinettic winch line would offer some impressive results, especially winching in Heathrow airspace!!  :shock:
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE - 2010
Defender 90 300 TDi Soft-Top - 1996
Mini Cooper Convertible - 2009
Volkswagen 181 Trekker (Thing/Kubelwagon) 1972

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 20:00:20 »
 :oops:  i knew what I meant  :oops:   Honest..  & yes I did mean synthetic  :oops:  :oops:
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal