AuthorTopic: Auto box oil cooler help needed  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Dr Strangeglove

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Auto box oil cooler help needed
« on: April 27, 2010, 06:14:50 »
I rang a local landy fixer/salvage guy asking if he had any auto oil coolers for a 3.9 petrol Rangie.  He said that he used to sell or fit the old type (bog brush/hedge hog/or whatever you know it has) but he stopped as they were prone to fail.  He said he now fits new oil coolers instead and mentioned an eight row.  As I need to replace mine on as small a budget as I can I evilbayed the said oil coolers and found these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Oil-Cooler-235mm-wide-10-Row-1-2-BSP-Fitting_W0QQitemZ290425039438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439eae6a4e

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Oil-Cooler-235mm-16-Row-3-4-BSP-fittings_W0QQitemZ290425039306QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439eae69ca

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Oil-Cooler-235mm-25-Row-5-8-fittings_W0QQitemZ290425039857QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439eae6bf1

Can anyone comment on just how big a cooler I will need?  They have various models including 10, 13, 16, 19 and 25 rows.

The next thing is what size am I coupling too.  My Rangie is a 1991 Vogue SE and it looks like the cooler has a male fitting on each end.  Does anyone know the size of them as it would be a huge advantage to be able to order one with the correct fittings?

Next, I presume I mount it in front of the air con rad the same as the existing one.  I can make brackets etc to fit it where it needs to go so that is not an issue.

Any help is much appreciated as the Rangie has turned into my daily drive for the time being and I need it sorting before it fails all together.

If you know any other things I need to consider then please let me know them also.

Regards

Mick
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
Re: Auto box oil cooler help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:03:49 »
Honestly, bog brush ones work fine, and have the large flow characteristics you need, quickest and cheapest too.

Wouldn't bother with a different one at all, especially as you're probably knocking on £150 once you have all the connections sorted out...
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline JIMBOBLY

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 22:13:33 »
i had to replace mine about 3 months ago,and quite rightly so,they are expensive,but its right what bowie has said,you get a cheaper one,then all the right bits to make it fit,it wont end up aqny cheaper,all im gonna do is keep painting the cooler with high temprature paint to keep the rust off it,as rust is why mine failed,but other than rust,they are a good cooler.

Offline Dr Strangeglove

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:26:37 »
The problem is getting one, and also the type, I think there are a couple of different types for a start.

Does anyone know the possible connection sizes to them?  Of all things Landy this seems to have everyone beat!!

Thanks anyway.

Can anyone suggest another forum that I may get the info from?

Regards

Mick
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:47:08 »
If you look on the unions they may have BSP *** stamped on then IIRC, that will give you the thread and size :)

If not, they are a standard hydraulic thread, imperial, I know this as I replaced the pipes with flexi hose to make room for a winch, though it is a bit spendy -£80 cash IIRC. If you went to a friendly hydraulics place with the premise of making some hoses up at a later date you could get the info from them before ordering ;)

BUT, I would still get a good second hand one from a different breaker in preference to the above...
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline JIMBOBLY

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 21:29:11 »
The problem is getting one, and also the type, I think there are a couple of different types for a start.

Does anyone know the possible connection sizes to them?  Of all things Landy this seems to have everyone beat!!

Thanks anyway.

Can anyone suggest another forum that I may get the info from?

Regards

Mick
there are 2 types of bog brush coolers,the early one,which on the end of the pipes,they are flared like a brake pipe,or the later one which was mine,they are just a straight bit of pipe,with a rib on it,and an o ring that sits on that rib,i got mine from a landrover dealer,hunters

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:12:22 »
I'm told the old pre-sprinter Merc vans had a lovely oil cooler you can fit.

Also don't worry too much about pipes, the pipework is low-pressure, the return feed on the auto, so you don't need high-pressure pipes.  My LSE has an extra oil cooler and it's conected by cutting the original metal pips and securing the hose with stainless jubilee clips.

If in doubt ring Kenlowe for advice, their technical support team seem to be very well informed ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 00:34:29 »
NAHHH, the bog brush is thr cold radiator, the water heat exchanger is to ensure it heats up quickly then keep it relatively cool.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 14:24:46 »
As RRB said ^^^

To move the autobox cooler for a close fitting winch you have to extent the hoses, there's a good thread writing this up over on LR4x4 : http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=12331

Offline mandrover

Attack Member
    • Bicester
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 17:11:31 »
I have a 1991 3.9 auto classic that i am breaking with oil cooler on the front if your interested??
79, 87 and 91 rangies! Im not greedy! and now a 1995 p38 dt!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal