AuthorTopic: Using serp ancillaries on none serp vehicles  (Read 2423 times)

Offline automania

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Using serp ancillaries on none serp vehicles
« on: April 11, 2010, 16:43:26 »
Just wondering if anyone can see any problems in using a serp front end v8 in an older car, I'm thinking of using the setup on a v8 90, other than havingbto run a thicker wire from the alternator, being much higher amperage, is there anything else I need to consider? I'll be using the air con pump for OBA and the power steering pump too.
Any help much appreciated.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Using serp ancillaries on none serp vehicles
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 19:39:15 »
Spares cost more/

Are you fitting the front end to the engine or just the ancilliaries? because they go in differne tplaces and might be differnet sizes, the alternator is for one.  On the serpentine engine the crank is longer to account for the crank driven oil pump, so which bits exaclty are you planning to use on what?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline automania

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 20:01:38 »
I've bought a long engine 4.0 it's got a timing cover to suit p38 so thinking of building it up using megajolt otherwise I'll have to fit a new cam etc the engine will be going in a genuine v8 90. Thanksfor replying.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 20:10:06 »
You might not need a new cam and the front end of the "interim" or " gemini" engine would fit but the megajolt is a very good system and would get round the weakpoint, the dizzy, plus give you a stronger spark.

Watch the P38/interim alternator, the back bearing is a weak point, mine let go twice in a short space of time, the second time it almost exploded :-o

One alternative would be to fit the EFi and ignition system form a P38
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline automania

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 20:18:01 »
So are you saying the v belt set up will fit my engine?

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 20:31:17 »
AFAIK the serpentine RRC engine, called the interim, used a P38 block with smaller journals same os the RRC crabk, but with the P38 oil pump/front end.  The only big difference is that the P38 didn't have a dizzy (not sure if that starts with the first P38).

the crank should be the right length already, the camshaft IIRC needs the dizzy drive gear fitting.  You can't use a duplex timing chain though, i've seen simplex roller chains but I'm not sure these are still available.

You can also use the older front end if you fit a spacer on the crank under the pulley bolt.

IIRC there are 3 types of crank, the older one is shorter then the interim is as long as the P38 but I think has a shorter woodruff key, the P38 also has bigger jouranls to make it stronger (and generate more separation with a thinner oil).

Anyhoo, your engine should work fine with any front end, the older 4 belt, the LSE 4 belt, the interim serpentine or the P38.

If you need more detail I might look up the title of a good book I read once.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:49:47 »
You *MAY* find that the oil filter gets clouted by the diff with a P38 engine in it, I have recently completed this conversion to my RRC and after the first green lane I tested it on I found it dented in by ~15mm, didn't leak, but was very very close to!

The fix is a remote oil filter kit, so budget £80-100 into the build.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 15:45:33 »
I need to check that then, because I thought the interim engine was basically a P38 with a dizzy.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 09:20:02 »
The quick check is to see if the oil filter hangs almost vertical or not, the non-serp 3.9 points forward at quite an angle, whereas the full P38 serp points almost straight down, hence the problem.

And no, there aren't any shorter filters available, and I wouldn't use them anyways, given the V8's need for good oiling.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline automania

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 09:39:21 »
Well i'd just decided to go the serp way as I've got the cover etc , but after Reading about the oil filter thinknim gonna have to find an interim cover, persumably the sump is different too so I'll need one to go with that. Cheers guys for replying

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 15:17:47 »
Or fit a remote filter kit.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:39 »
Remote filter kit is a 15 minute job, just screws on and cut a couple of hoses to length.

The P38 sump fits absolutely fine, it is actually better baffled than the 3.9 one IMHO, so I am using that with no problems to report.

Interim covers go for stupid amounts of money, really really not worth it.

Offline automania

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 17:00:37 »
Interim covers go for stupid amounts of money, really really not worth it.

did get a quote of 140 quid for an intermediate front cover  ancilliries and mounts etc but not dizzy or crank pulley, is this a good deal or should i stick where i am, thing is i either spend on getting serp parts, or get another cover, change the cam to run the oil pump and then use normal v belt gear, not sure which. cheers for repliues

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 18:22:07 »
IMHO, stick with what you have, stick a remote filter kit on it for piece of mind and all you have spent is £80-100. Intermediate cover = £140 + unseen expenses with no real benefit.

I would fit it all in and CHECK the clearance between filter and diff, axle position may not be the same in a 90 compared to an RRC... as I said above you *MAY* find there's an issue, alternately you may find nothing of the sort.

What are you  planning on doing for an engine oil cooler?

Offline automania

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 19:33:33 »
Wasn't gonna do anythingfor an oil cooler, doesn't have one now, doesit needone?
Cheers mike

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:53 »
Hmmm, I would say yes... it does need one.

LR fitted an oil cooler in the end of the radiator on the RRC, the P38 had a separate one in front of the radiator, I was able to get a local company to make up some hoses to fit my radiator oil cooler, though in an ideal world I would be fitting a cooler in front of the radiator for air cooling rather than water, but it is horses for courses I suppose. Maybe a V8 90 radiator would have the cooler in the end of the radiator and that would suffice?

V8s love their oil, and one that doesn't have decent oil cooling will not like it one bit...

I think you need to realise that it will cost more than you think, although it is all worth it in the end ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal