AuthorTopic: Can I buy a P38 Please?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Matt_H

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Can I buy a P38 Please?
« on: March 31, 2010, 16:06:59 »
'ello,

seems like I really need a new landy, having had an early 110, a 200 tdi disco and a defender 90 I think it is time for a rangie ;-)  I don't know why, but I like the looks of the P38.  Should be able to lug stuff when I need (part time voluntary tree surgeon and I bring wood home for our burner), but also be comfortable enough to transport the family around.

The wife is up for having it as her run around when her company car is given back at the end of her maternity leave (maybe 2-3k per year max)  :P However I'm not allowed to modify it like the disco, in SWMBO's words - "I can't drive the thing in a straight line, you aren't allowed to modify it!".   Hmmm well how about some subtle mods?  maybe.....

I'm trying to think I'd limit it to some all terrain tyres and maybe a rear diff locker/auto locker, but having read up a bit about the P38, it seems like the traction control system might do all I need.  However I'm struggling to find out how you tell if a car has rear only TC or all four wheel TC - apart from saying it changed 98-99 is there an easy way to tell?  Also what was the centre diff and did it change, was it LSD or something else?

Thanks
Matthew

Offline muddysteve

Attack Member
Re: Can I buy a P38 Please?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:32:52 »
get one and dont worry about the TC mine hasnt got it at all but doesnt struggle

if your getting a V8 then get a post 2k one with the bosch engine management and be prepared to play with lots of electrical niggles

Steve                www.lanerovers.co.uk    www.surreyoffroaders.co.uk

Offline Brett69

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 21:12:27 »
They are great, here's my 1997 DSE fitted with Good year wrangler MTR's 32"

Have 4wd Need MUD!!!

P38 Range Rover
Power chipped
Bull Bars
Roof Rails
CB Rig
3" Body Lift
32" Goodyear MTR's
Modified Bumpers & exhaust system

Need Snorkel an winch bumpers

Offline barnhill4x4

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:24:51 »
Just buy one, They are cheap as hell and you get a lot of car for the money.
 Mine is used off road a hell of a lot more than when I first got it. You get more of a sense of "I can go anywhere" than you do in a Disco, well I do anyway. It just seems to do what its told.
 Yes, they do go wrong but they are not as bad as the scare mongers would like you to think. Have a look at the p38 section of rangerovers.net. Lots of useful info there.

Offline Bigjohn

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 18:26:22 »
Hi ime only a newbie on here, but if anyone wants to know anything about a P38 please ask Ive had one for about 4 years and the learning curve initially was like falling off a Cliff, but having done most things and kept it "as factory" I have found it not to be as frightening as peeps make out, as Bret69 says they have been spoilt by those that have just looked under the bonnet said F Me and walked away. I run a 4.0 with Prinz multi injection LPG, averages about 14 to the gallon when ime driving and about 17 with the wife, long runs of 200 miles plus no more than 20 at a steady 75mph Cough Cough and when we have the twin axellva on the back just dont look and keep filling up :shock:

If the inlet manifold resembles a bunch of bananas it is the better later engine responds better to fiddeling with the programming of the ECU but they could have just fiddled with the ECU and got the same results?? :roll: (but both the 4.0 and 4.6 suffer from the liners moving and water loss) and from this engine Traction Controll was standard before then it was an option cant rearly see why? also the centre "Diff" uses a viscous coupling on all P38's which can go wrong like all things.

Offline nismo2004

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:32:52 »
hi my farthers got a nice one for sale if your interested, its  1996 with private plate, had all the usual nigly problems sorted out now decided he prefers his classic so his stuck it up for sale.

Offline vougese39

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 16:06:42 »
i have a 1994 m reg for sale in good condition just put one of my rebuilt engines in it for him cost him 4K 2 months ago still got 10 months of the engine warranty left which i will honour! wants 3K for a quick sale cheers stuart
ARMSONAE FIRST AID FOR YOUR LAND ROVER!
THE ONLY UKWIDE MOBILE LAND ROVER SPECALIST
FULL DIAGNOSTICS 1990-2010 MY!
MUDCLUB 10% LABOUR DISCOUNT
http://armsonae.webs.com/  EMAIL armsonae@yahoo.co.uk/ 
SEE ME AT STAND G1,G2,G3 AT LRO PETERBOG 2011

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal