AuthorTopic: broken prop shaft...having trouble with drive!  (Read 4339 times)

Offline landyluke

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
broken prop shaft...having trouble with drive!
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:02:14 »
Hello
I'm driving a 110 and i'm having a wee bit of bother. I managed to snap the U.J. connecting my front propshaft to my transmission box (i went a bit OTT while going down a rough track!), i have removed the part and drove the vehicle home. My problem is that it will only drive when i have engaged my diff lock. Does this mean i have ruined my gear box? It drives fine when engaged but won't move in normal ratio gearbox. Any help would be appreciated! 

Offline ChrisW70

Attack Member
Re: broken prop shaft...having trouble with drive!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:44:07 »
This is normal, without centre difflock engaged the transfer box will put drive through the path of least resistance - as there is no prop connected to the front output this gets all the power, with centre difflock engaged the drive is locked 50/50 to front and rear outputs. It can be driven like this (obviously) but most people say not to drive for too long i.e. emergency use only.
Difflock can be used in high and low ratio.
Chris W

West Midlands Region GLASS Rep
GLASS TRO Officer

Offline landyluke

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:11:44 »
Nice one, thanks. Thats good news!

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 20:13:27 »
But still dont use it as a run about,fix it before using it!!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 20:59:59 »
What exactly is the reason why you can not run like that for 'too long' ?
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 22:10:03 »
There is no reason why you cant use it for a long period of time provided you dis-engage and re-engage the diff lock from time to time.
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline bogie

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 17:18:09 »
Dont know the exact ins and outs  but a mate had the same broblem,carried on without a care in diff lock and destroyed the transfer box. As diff lock is selectable there must be a good reason for it being that way or you would not have it??? For the sake of repairing or replacing a prop its a big gamble,only takes 30 mins to replace a uj.
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 17:39:06 »
putting it down as a landy urban myth until someone can give technical explanation as to why.

as for why selectable difflock... with the diff locked (i.e it no longer acting as a differential) and driving around curves and corners your going to get axle wind up (which will damage tranny in end) and tyre scrub if on high traction surfaces like asphalt (not a problem in mud or bumpy roads because wheels will spin out) . With the diff present ( diffLOCK not engaged) the front vs rear axle wheels are allowed to rotate at different speeds which is a characteristic of driving around a bend and no wind up is suffered.   None of that applies when you haven't one of the propshafts on.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 18:17:18 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 17:56:11 »
I'm with Saffy on this. I can't figure any reason why it should be a problem with one of the propshafts removed.

You have drive out of the transfer box into the diff. The diff is locked, so nothing happening internally, Then, it is transferred out through the rear shaft.

There is a problem the other way round.... if you constantly spin the diff, for example on brake rollers at an MOT station, it accelerates wear in the diff pin and planet gears.

Of course, I stand to be corrected!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 18:11:56 »
It will do no harm at all as long as you drive gently and don't use low ratio. The system is designed to spread the power over both axles, you are now putting it all through one axle so a light right foot is the order of the day. Nothing will get "wound up" as one responder suggested as you still have an open diff in the rear axle. I once drove an uprated V8 110 over 500 miles on front drive only, now that was interesting (particularly as I was towing) but no harm was done.
Having rear drive only in high box is basically the same as series Land rovers were built.

Mike
If you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there

Self built Range Rover/Lightweight hybrid (yes the one with yellow wheels)

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 18:59:23 »

Having rear drive only in high box is basically the same as series Land rovers were built.

Mike

The permanent 4 wheel drive came first with the range rover..... 135 hp V8 running basically the same running gear as the 50 hp series.

Test showed the drivetrain inadequate in 2wd (twisted props etc.) so instead of producing all new running gear, they changed the transfer box.
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline bogie

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 20:08:18 »
I would love to know the answer to this one,as whether it is 100% safe?

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 06:21:53 »
Been there and done that, no problems at all.
Have a friend who did the same when he shattered  diff, he ran his td5 at normal road speeds on 35" silverstones for over 2000 miles in just rear wheel drive and the transfer box is all good.

Like its been said above, damage will only occur with difflock engaged on tarmac with drive to both axles
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline pondy653

Attack Member
    • Norwich
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 18:00:22 »
The difflock is only there for when two axles are being driven which has been said then allows the difference in distance being driven (the rear axle takes a shorter route when cornering) to not damage the drive train.  When you lock the center difff it just makes both props run at the same speed delivering drive to both ends of the car and overcomes the natural effect of the power going to the path of least resitance when one wheel looses traction.  Of course if one wheel on each axle looses traction i.e. cross axle your going no where (unless like Topless Matt you've spent a small fortune making your car virtually unstoppable and thats when you need a 360 eh mate ;) )

So to answer the original question, no problem at all with only 1 prop (front or rear) and the diff locked, i've done it loads and will continue to do so without hesitation.

98 Defender 110 CSW Tdi
Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport DSG
Yamaha WR450F (for treading really lightly)
4x4 Response (Norfolk&Suffolk) Member since 1999

Offline frosty

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 21:18:41 »

I drove for 10 hours from Poland to Hohne with only the front prop connected and it all went smoothly..so smoothly we forgot to put a rear prop on, the OC was less than understanding when it got stuck on the next exercise 3 months later!

90..standardish

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 21:56:46 »
unless like Topless Matt you've spent a small fortune making your car virtually unstoppable and thats when you need a 360 eh mate 

This is very true  :oops:

Likes to eat badgers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal