AuthorTopic: Gotta love some peoples idea of 'recon'  (Read 684 times)

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
Gotta love some peoples idea of 'recon'
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:52:10 »
Went around a matey yesterday and was trouble shooting his clunky transmission. He bought a """"recon"""" LT230 disco ration transfer box off ebay  :roll: about 6000 miles ago.
Removing the  rearshaft end housing showed this busted egg shaped diff bearing retaining nut. Clearly showing signs of being removed and torqued up with a chisel. This is supposed to be discarded on strip down and replaced with new and fitted to correct torque setting with a suitable tool in absence of the LR special tool. I doubt the spanner monkey ever read the overhaul manual, dread to think what other horrors are to be found, I have serious doubts about the preload settings. I'd like to personally kick his ass just for he-man torque he put into the hi-low selector housing bolts - might as well of welded them in!
End of day I'd rather seek out an untouched original low mileage transfer box then touch any mans 'reconditioned' attempt unless it comes directly from a reputable engineering firm. I have long time said 'one mans engine rebuild is another mans degrease and paint job'.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
Re: Gotta love some peoples idea of 'recon'
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 20:26:15 »
Same here I do it myself, or use the big name firms....or be .....  :D reconned
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
Re: Gotta love some peoples idea of 'recon'
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 18:55:42 »
Totally agree mate,you can attempt to recon for yourself,blaming only yourself when it fails but never pass it off to someone else because theres alot of cowboys and gullible people out there!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal