AuthorTopic: wring a winch???  (Read 750 times)

Offline des johnston

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
wring a winch???
« on: March 05, 2010, 13:23:06 »
hi.

i have a warn winch its fairly old. i hope to put it on my suzuki sj. the battery i have is not very big. does this this matter?? or do i have to put in a second battery?? 
can anybody help? 

des

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: wring a winch???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 13:34:29 »
you need to consider the max and nominal current draw of the winch model, you battery capacity and what your alternator is capable of supplying, you need to know some figures before anyone can really answer.

Why you want to stick a heavy ol'winch on a light an nimble SJ is beyond me.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 17:49:55 »
To use a very old analogy...

Think of your battery as a bath, and your alternator as the taps....     When you open the taps, they fill up the bath as quickly as they can.   When you use electricity, it's like opening the plug...  the more electricity you want to use, the wider you open the plug.    For a small load (like a CB) the plug is barely opened, so the water trickles out.   For a large load (like a winch working hard) the plug is WIDE open and water drains quickly.

Now, the trick is to keep the water level over a certain level in the bath, else you run out of water.   You can do this in a couple of ways...

1) You can increase the size of your taps...  they will refill the bath quicker and cope with the loads.  (Fit a bigger alternator)
2) You can increase the size of the bath, reducing the effect of the water draining out and giving you more time before the level drops too far  (Fit bigger or multiple batteries)
3) You can reduce the size of your drain...  (Use less electrical load, in this case a gentle pull uses much less power than a full-on recovery)

As Saffy says, to be able to give a specific answer, we'd need to know a bit more detail.    What size is your alternator, what capacity (Ah) is your battery, how often you are going to use the winch and in what way.

If it's an M8000 (for example) and you have a 45Amp alternator...  if you are just going to give yourself a little tug here and there in the event of getting bogged down on a track, then you'll probably be OK...    if you are going to an off-road site and plan to get properly stuck, then you probably won't.

Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 17:51:51 »
You'll be fine.

Fit a volt meter in the cab and remember to stop winching every couple of minutes to let everything in the winch cool down and the battery charge up.  Unless your planning on doing winch challanges....
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal