AuthorTopic: towing  (Read 1490 times)

Offline wing nut

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
towing
« on: April 15, 2005, 18:41:05 »
Can i legally tow another jeep on an unbraked dolly ? as im not sure how the law stands now ,and i dont want to flog my nice newly painted dolly ..(i had it given to me,) my towing car is a sammy soft top and i want to tow a vitara or vice versa if needed to after a funday . :roll:  :?: i've used it before many times ,but with all this braked unbraked trailers law and stuff ,things are a little vague!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt

suzuki dr 650 import(now with new gearbox)

43 with the mental age of tarmac and a harpsichord

Offline robbie

Attack Member
towing
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 20:00:33 »
Dont know the answer, but would like to. I have a Disco and it would be easier to tow the Suzie somtimes for sure.

I have plans for making a towing dolly that raises the front wheels off the ground.

I think it will depend on the towing weight limits of the vehicles concerned. The Jimny will have a lower towing weight which might not be OK for towing a Vitara. I guess main dealers will be able to help as well
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
towing
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 21:14:45 »
mine carries the car around 2 feet off the ground and is quite heavy ,very well built  with a factory fitted winch ,and the heaviest motor iv'e towed with it was a vw transporter behind a granada ghia   but i never used to worry about getting pinched by the police in them days  :wink:  ...it will be a shame to have to get rid of it, if i cant use it anymore..the other alternative will be to get a bigger 4x4 ......a nice big defender lol still saving for it  :D
Matt

Offline winchman

Attack Member
towing
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 22:17:17 »
When towing another vehicle its classed as a trailer and as such should be braked if over 750Kgs
So your towing A frame etc must be braked.
I know recover men tow more but they are allowed to recover almost any thing to a place of safety.
You must also not exceed the maximum toiwing weight of the vehicle
( Ford Ka has no towingweight so cant tow a trailer)
Roughly speaking if your car weighs 1 tonne you cant tow more than 1 tonneI tow my SL with an A frame and all 4 wheels on the road and have never as yet been stopped, I tow it with a 405 so its not too heavy but it is over weight as it has no brakes
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
towing
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 23:01:16 »
thanks for that  (depressed now :cry: )
Matt

gingerchristopher

towing
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 11:02:07 »
your best bet is to get an old caravan. take the c**p off the frane and weld on some plates for your zuki to stand on. the caravan already has brakes fitted. I used to tow a ranger on one like that. :(biggrin):

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
towing
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 15:52:56 »
thats a good idea  :idea: my mate has one ,im just waiting for his kids to completley wreck it and then voila !!!!! new trailer ha ha ... bet he sees straight through me :lol:
Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal