AuthorTopic: 300tdi auto kick down cable  (Read 7075 times)

Offline difflock kev

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
300tdi auto kick down cable
« on: January 31, 2010, 19:34:21 »
i have a 300tdi auto 1996 which has developed a slack kick down cable and is now only changing up a gear at high revs,can anyone point me in the direction of why this has happened and possible remedies??? when we had the cold snap the throttle pedal first thing in the morn was solid until engine warmed up ? would this have anything to do with the problem? any help would be appreciated   [-o<

Offline jkseries

Attack Member
Re: 300tdi auto kick down cable
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 19:55:44 »
I think that the kickdown cable is supposed to be quite slack.  There is loads of information on the Ashcroft Transmissions site here: http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/faq.html
Mine is sticking in first gear in the mornings but it seems the governor has gone.

Have a look at the site it also tells you how to adjust the kickdown cable.

The book of lies also points out that the level of fluid can also have an affect on how the gearbox behaves. Too much oil equals too much pressure and visa versa. Check the oil on the dipstick also. If it's thick and black you might get away with just a drain and filter change. If it has bits in it the gearbox could be on it's way out. I did see on a website somewhere that the only effective way to change your fluid was to first drain it from the sump. Then drive for a while with the mixture of new and old oil then drain it again and change the filter. This will give about 75% good oil in the box.

I hope that all helps.

J

Offline difflock kev

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 20:14:25 »
thanks for the info,will get under the bonnet tomorrow and check oil and levels and also have a look at that website,im keeping my fingers crossed  :)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 00:35:43 »
As a guide the kickdown cable should have a few mmof slack when at full throttle.  On the TDi you can choose one of 4 holes on the throttle lever to alter how responsive the kickdown is to throttle input, I changed my sister's to make it kickdown less as it was always swapping cogs on the back lanes.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:57:08 »
I totally disconected mine as it was always going up and down gears. Once gone I got more mpg out of it. I just found I needed to hold the gear lever in 3rd until up to speed then tap the lever into D (dont need to hold the button in) and it was far better at towing too.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:53:29 »
I had a similar issue recently. Found that the cable was sticking, the cover on the pump end (where it connects to the accelerator) had perished and warn, and you could see the cable sticking out. After looking into how to replace the whole cable (not an easy job to say the least) i tried lubricating it. I fed some powere steering fluid down the cable into the sheaf, whilst puling the cable in and out. Fiddle job and took some time, but the kickdown is as good as new now (or newish)

Hope that made some sense

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Cyberprog

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 00:55:03 »
I totally disconected mine as it was always going up and down gears. Once gone I got more mpg out of it. I just found I needed to hold the gear lever in 3rd until up to speed then tap the lever into D (dont need to hold the button in) and it was far better at towing too.
I recall seeing something about this on the ashcroft website that suggested disconnecting it was a really bad idea. YMMV however :) (Quite literally in this case...)
Alex Threlfall - Cyberprog New Media
99 T Disco 5Dr Automatic - TD5 Alived! with Larger Intercooler, Samco XDB Hoses, Turbo Boost Box, Stage 2 Remap, Ceramic Exhaust Manifold and Stainless Exhaust
TP4x4 Front & Devon 4x4 Rear HD Bumpers, QT Diff Guards, TP4x4 Steering Guard, Tank Guard, NAS Hitch, Security Screens
Some people have it coming. I'm just a delivery mechanism.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal