AuthorTopic: Dash board wiring  (Read 1085 times)

Offline paulmmc

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Dash board wiring
« on: January 29, 2010, 10:24:09 »
I'm trying to wire the instrument panel/dash board (so warning lights, fuel guage, rev counter etc) into my hybrid project. I have the instrument panel from a 1987 Vogue EFi 3.5 which i am trying to mate with a universal harness. I have figured out what most of the wires coming out of the dash do by using a 12v test battery and seeing what lights up or using a multimeter to check for continuity between wires but there are a few i can't figure out what they do. Has anyone got a good wiring diagram of just the dash? The haynes manual is pretty rubbish as it has things like 'Multifunction binnacle' written on it with 8 wires coming out, but doesn't tell you what each wire is for!! Or even if anyone knows what colour wires do what it may help me narrow things down.

Most importantly i am trying to figure out how to wire the tacho, i know the feed is from the alternator on the connection marked 'W', but which wire on the dash does it connect to and is there anything more complicated to consider? I want the tacho working at least so i can try and tune the engine a bit as it sounds like its revving high but obviously i can't tell how high without the tacho.

Thanks in advance, Paul
1981 Series III, Petrol SWB
1987 Rangie 3.5V8 Auto
(Both of the above soon to become one hybrid!)

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Dash board wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 22:19:22 »
The rev counter has it's own connector from what I remember.  As for the wring diagram, the Haynes as about as good as they get.

The low fuel lamp works from the fuel sender, the oil lamp is swithced on the negative, the coolant level needs to be connected to distinguish it, brakes earth via the wear loop, low screenwash, brake fluid etc should be easy to work out.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal