AuthorTopic: Reliability  (Read 1169 times)

Offline zagamac

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Reliability
« on: January 03, 2010, 11:46:13 »
Hi
Considering either a Discovery or Range Rover, probably a 300tdi or Classic, however i'm concerned about reliability.  I don't really get my hands dirty myself and quite happy to trust to RM motors in Rushden, but are these Landie's / Rangie's really as unreliable as i'm given to believe.

I'm aware of all the rust nasties and will be vigilent when buying, but I don't want a car that breaks down all the time.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Offline LiftedDisco

Attack Member
Re: Reliability
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:29:47 »
Hiya

My current Disco is purely a weekend toy, so part of the process is a continuous fettling so that I can keep costs down...

However, the real reason for responding to your post is the fact that I have also run three RRC's as hard-working tow cars - ultimately the quality of the servicing will determine how reliable they are, so bear any history in mind when you are looking around.

Petrol sounds lovely but the cost of running would bankrupt many smaller nations - my diesel Disco is currently on 212,000 and I know that there are plenty of other high mileage examples on here...

Buy the best you can find (with history) and keep to the service schedule and you should be OK!

Hope this helps!
Discovery 300 Tdi - 2" lift, side exit exhaust, HD bumpers, T-Maxx 9500, removable tow hitch, snorkel and 235/85's

Discovery 4 Commercial - very standard but very nice!

Freelander 2 TD4 - Fun Prevention Officer's

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 13:26:47 »
If you can, find an ex Japanese market model. The Japanese don't use salt on their roads.

:P
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 15:29:55 »
Anyone that says a Discovery is unreliable is talking through their backside!

Yes rust is an issue, so keep an eye out for that, but the engines are bombproof. Mine has 221,000 miles on it, had a new gearbox around 80k when it had an R380 fitted instead of the LT77, and been serviced regularly.

I do my services myself at 6000 mile intervals or 6 months, whatever comes 1st. I regrease the props every two months or after a heavy offroad session, so realistically they get grease most months. The wheelbearings get checked 6 monthly, I used to do them after every offroad session but found that I really don't need to!

You just have to look around to see the amount of Discovery engines that are being sold from broken vehicles to see how reliable they are!

Endless supply of parts and new bits are cheap as well! (service it for £10 plus the oils!)
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 18:42:47 »
Well we have 4 RRC in the family and 3 are VOR, only Blue is running tonight.

So of coourse I'm going to tell you that a RRC can be reliable.

But honestly, they can be if they are looked after.  I can put most maladies with ours down to neglect.

My personal choice if I could find one would be a 300TDi and I'd be very tempted by the auto, fully loaded of course.  My sister has one, a RRC and when it's running it's lovely.  Just need to refit the cylinder head and instal some sort of low-coolant warning [-X
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline john656

Attack Member
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 19:47:05 »
My mum has owned a 300 disco manual for 7 years (and now mine) and there has been nothing that, wouldnt or hasnt gone on any other vehicle on the road today. Its only this year that its going to be a welding job for the MOT but that i usual wheel arch area.

As above...service history, and dont take everything a mechanic says as gospel as we only get to see the bad side of cars and their designs  :lol:

My wife can't wrestle but you should see her box.

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 20:09:10 »
Had my RRC V8 for 3 years now, abused it and serviced it, and it's fine! Look out for rust in the usual places, there are a lot of rough ones out there, but a lot of good stuff as well.
Good luck with the search!
Dave
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

Offline doda456

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 21:43:33 »
They are generally quite good- providing you dont do anything too stupid in them.   If its a daily drive and goes out getting abused at a pay and play every weekend you might get a few problems. 

Most of my mechanical problems seem to stem from off roading and pay and plays.

Just remember to look after it, and you will be fine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal