AuthorTopic: Roof leaks......  (Read 1665 times)

Offline age

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Roof leaks......
« on: December 31, 2009, 16:50:30 »
After my major 'mechanical' year, I now want to get to the bottom of the water 'issues'..... No, I don't hold out any hope of curing them, just a significant reduction would be nice.

In a downpour, and if parked at certain angles, I get a flow of water from above the passenger door - where the A pillar and 'lintel' meet, not around the door seal itself.

I also have a very damp/saggy headlining, and major condensation.  I'm thinking roof lights/oval windows as obvious culprits - ingress then running along internal gutter?  Do you think I'm way off, or in the right area?

Has anyone removed/re-sealed/replaced the seals on these?  Any major hurdles/useful tips?

Unfortunately I have full size roof rack which will have to come off - that's been a major disincentive to date, but its going to have to be done.....!  Cheers, A (oh and Happy New Year!)
3 Defenders on and I'd still buy another.....

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
Re: Roof leaks......
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 17:07:40 »
Mine leaked like a siv from around the sunroof and alpine windows so i swapped the roof for one without any glass

No more leaks
 :D
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 19:17:47 »
Can't fault your logic Jake (and love what you've done so far btw) - but I do want to keep the glass!  Any areas on your reject that were obvious sources of wet, or just generally bad seals?  Cheers, A

Offline T30CDB

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 18:29:30 »
I have neither sunroof or alpine lights and it still leeks ! I think the joints in the roof are a likely place but this involves drilling out loads of rivets  :(
and on the eigth day god created ..... Landrover

Offline DogVanMan

Attack Member
  • The Dogfather
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 19:26:06 »
I've used caravan sealer around all of the roof joints in my last two Defenders to good effect. It stays soft and pliable so allowing for expansion contraction. Messy but good! Here's something similar to what I've used. Cheap as chips too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARAVAN-IDL-Sealer_W0QQitemZ370304838549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item5637e36b95

Graeme
90 300tdi Hardtop. One or two teeny weeny mods. Not fast!
110 Td5 H/top. IRB  i/cooler amongst other things. Not slow!

http://www.dogfathertraining.co.uk

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 20:03:41 »
Ive solved my leaking gutter.Ive used silocone,tiger seal but they all peel over the years. The answer is blow the joints out with the air line and pour liquid super glue in the joints,it takes the same route as the water and seals from inside out!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 21:58:34 »
Really useful tips chaps - thanks.  I'll give the gutters a good seeing to when the rack is off - I'd stupidly thought they were integral to the roof pressing, but of course that would be far too sensible and leak proof! (and probably an engineering impossibility?) .  Cheers, AA

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 09:13:16 »
I'd go along with the other suggestions about the gutters being prone to leaking. Dig out all the old sealant and run fresh stuff along them.

I put all new seals in and did the gutters and I have no water leaks at all  :shock:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline T30CDB

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 16:35:10 »
if you have no head lining in the back it could be that you have a build up of condensation formed on the inside channel which moves forward when you pull off ! Just a thought
and on the eigth day god created ..... Landrover

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 23:49:16 »
Gives me hope V8!

Roof lining right through, but v saggy where its damp all the time.  Don't suppose that is re-stickable!  A

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal