AuthorTopic: 'Santa Dash'  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
'Santa Dash'
« on: December 13, 2009, 21:19:47 »
As a few of you know, I do a 'bit of running' to supplement the cycling (there's been some weeks when I've run 40 miles, including 25+ cross-country)

So, bearing that in mind..............

Recently I was co-erced into entering a 'Santa-Dash' at Pontefract Racecourse (happened this morning) by a 'joint strike-force' of Amelia (my 8 year old), a classmate of hers, & Kath - one of our Hospital Matrons :doh:

I'll guess that you all know what a 'Santa Dash' is?, if not read the bumf on this link;
http://www.pwh.org.uk/events/santadash

Anyway, back to the tale...........

Most of my friends (okay, I have the two!) & all of my family know I have a certain dislike (almost contempt) for the allegedly (& so called ) 'festive season', so I agreed - but the costume had to be my own idea  :-k

Which I'd had since the second that the 3 of them asked me to join......................................

However, if I couldn't source my original idea at a good price, there was a second option of a Wolverine costume

Then I could run as

Wait for it............

'Santa Claws' :dance: :dance:

Anyway, I found a source for some of the required material 'Fabworks' in Dewsbury), & also an outlet for the other items............................

So, we arrived at Pontefract Racecourse at 10:00 this morning to see a plethora of red-suited beings, some with white beards :shock:
The men even had them as well :grin: (even some Pooches too!)

On the whole, it was a rather amusing little event 8-[

I was slightly surprised at the numbers there, perhaps 160 - 170 entrants?

I arrived incognito, in Ron Hill running tights & Featherstone RC long-sleeve top, which, always gets a good reception from the Hospice volunteers (as the Club & its sponsoring shop both support the Hospice 'big time')
Once I'd checked in, & had a little run around in that kit to stretch/warm-up, it was time to get changed............

I attracted a bit of attention, after all, slipping off tight trousers & pulling on furry ones in open view is not something you see (or wish to?) everyday?!?

There seemed to be a 'photo-call' too, as a lot of people wanted a picture of the 'idiot in the furry trousers', especially once the mask was on

Mask ! ?, read on.................................

Once lined up for the start, I was placed well back (photo-calls :roll: ), and standing with Kath & Sue (our 2 Matrons)
To say it's not deemed a race, the front line rapidly disappeared - leaving me some chasing to do.
Quite surprisingly the trousers were't too bad to run in - I did envisage them falling around my ankles at some point, then me going full-length along the grass

I passed a heck of a lot of people all the way round - despite only having a combination of 'monocular/tunnel vision' (as the eye-holes in the mask were considerably at odds with the distance between my own eyes)

Bar the last 1/4 lap, the mask wasn't too bad to run in; in terms of breathing, but I wouldn't want to run a 10K in it
Once across the line, I'm sure it had steam coming out of the eye-holes :lol:

I think that I did manage to get up to about 10th - 15th place by the end - even though it's not a race (oh yeah!?!?)

(I reckon, but didn't time myself, on about 15 minutes for the circuit)

Click on pic to open/enlarge (5 images)

The photos continued after the event too, including someone who works at the Hospital, & took some for the (Hospital) staff magazine, & quite possibly the 'Pontefract & Castleford Express' too (there goes my reputation!!!, if I ever had one)

However, best of all, was making a couple of kids cry by looking at them, & asking if they'd been good or not; My day was complete!!! :dance: :clap: :dance:

Sadly.............. there were no 'Miss Saucy Clauses', possibly too cold for them??
(or not that I saw, or was told about - more likely :evil:)

Apparantly there was a fair few 'honks' of horns from both the M62 (race-course runs alongside it for a while) & Park Road (A639; M62 to Pontefract town-centre)!!

I couldn't hear 'stuff all' in that mask, so can only go from what other runners were saying about it.

Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: 'Santa Dash'
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:31:57 »
Brilliant job Richard  :clap: Nice to see you getting into the spirit of the season  :twisted:  :lol:

N.B. As you may recall, I'm of the same opinion as you about this!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal