AuthorTopic: Chassis Cleaning  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Chassis Cleaning
« on: April 08, 2005, 22:29:47 »
Does anyone know how to get rid of bitumin from a chassis? I'm fed up with the hammer and chisel method and looking for a quick way

Offline LOULA

Attack Member
Chassis Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 22:32:59 »
What about a BLOW TORCH :(bigsmoke):

Its a [!Expletive Deleted!] to remove, stanton boy uses a wallpaper scraper hard work but does the trick.

keep at it  :D
Part owner of Series III and owner of My beloved Freelander 2.0TD4 ( which is still a proper landrover)

www.paidia4x4.com

Offline driftwood

Attack Member
Chassis Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 08:07:43 »
i normaly use 2 different cleaners but only on the small splashes on paintwork do they get it off, but you could try them on your chassis

1, mer from the local car shop, like a polisher in a big blue bottle,  or
2 believe it or not try wd40  :shock:
3, hammer & scraper :)
one or the other works for me

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Chassis Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 21:34:09 »
:evil: If all else fails use a Grinder or a drill fitted with a steel wire brush fitment. The problem is the warmer the weather gets the harder it will be to get off, as it will become slightly softer. There you go. Heat the ares up that you want take off and simply use a strong scraper, job done. :D
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Chassis Cleaning
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 22:38:01 »
Sand blaster would do the job, or a silicon blaster. Fitted to an air line
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Chassis Cleaning
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 23:24:41 »
Cheers - I'll try some of those methods :D  its a good 2-3mm thick and chassis is coated all over in the stuff even under the rear tub and wheel arches :evil:  Wish DPG hadnt told me to clean it up for chassis repairs :evil:  :evil:  :lol:

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Chassis Cleaning
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 23:41:21 »
Quote from: "Andy the Landy"
Cheers - I'll try some of those methods :D  its a good 2-3mm thick and chassis is coated all over in the stuff even under the rear tub and wheel arches :evil:  Wish DPG hadnt told me to clean it up for chassis repairs :evil:  :evil:  :lol:

:lol: Only cos he didnt want to do it, and it would keep costs down if you do most of it your self. Hes only thinking of you in a sadistic way. Join the club ive been there as well when i was restoreing my old Classic Rangie a couple of years ago. :lol:  :lol:
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Chassis Cleaning
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 23:52:48 »
Quote from: "muky-kid."
Quote from: "Andy the Landy"

:lol: Only cos he didnt want to do it, and it would keep costs down if you do most of it your self. Hes only thinking of you in a sadistic way. Join the club ive been there as well when i was restoreing my old Classic Rangie a couple of years ago. :lol:  :lol:
 :lol:  :lol:  When I asked him which bits wanted cleaning up he did say only the bits for the repair job - but did mention in a sadistic, evil laughing sort of way that the whole chassis would look good with it all taken off, and I must admit I agree - its just a ballache doing it - and SWMBO isnt too chuffed that I'm spending 12 to 15 hours at work and coming home and doing another couple of hours on the Landy to get it back on the road.  :-k Maybe I should buy a 90 for me and let her do all the work :-k

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal