AuthorTopic: Swapping tyres at home  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Axetamer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Swapping tyres at home
« on: December 04, 2009, 19:28:25 »
Hi put a new tyre on today, the 8th one I've done using this method, there a link to a vid of me doing it on u-tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDjo03ra34
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
Re: Swapping tyres at home
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 16:33:21 »
Its all very well as long as the bead breaks,but cant fault you! Im sick of being ripped off by garages who make you wait for ages to do a 2 minute job.Im investing in a tyre machine soon so stuff em!!!!!!!!!!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 19:06:57 »
Breaking the bead seems to be the hardest bit. The last time I took a tyre to be changed (the old one was delaminating) the garage took a few goes to get it loose!  :shock:

I have seen a device to fit onto the base of a hilift jack for this purpose but they only seemed to be sold to South Africa.

How do you go about getting them balanced - just go to a Kwik Fit or similar and pay the standard wheel balancing charge?
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline stuntman

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 19:12:30 »
I wouldn't bother balancing them mate, I always do my muds and ATs at home with levers :)
1989 3.5slti Mazda powered 110DC

Erm ... I've lost my keys darling ... again!

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 19:34:14 »
I have changed a few tyres using the hilift method -  i used to run them over before then!

i found whenfitting a new tyre the hardest bit could be inflating the new tyre and seating it - sometimes new tyres are a little squashed, so a ratchet strap around them can help them on their way.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline bravo669

Attack Member
  • The Mans Machine
    • Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 21:36:21 »
fair one i reckon! :)
Green Suzuki Jimny soft top with +2" KAP supension lift and Insa Turbo Saharas

Add me at www.facebook.com/braine

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 22:45:48 »
I don't bother having them balanced either, they get ripped apart playing which screws the balancing anyway
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 23:28:41 »
i used to do em like that but now use a beadbreaker attachment on the highlift, had some cash so I bought one- same method just nicer and less risk of wall damage as it fit bolts to bottom of jack base and fit snug up against rim. It's the same south African product matt mentioned, but UK supplier.
http://www.beadbreaker.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxZeGs9xjpc
Decent sized levers like u got there are god send (i got my from farm supplies).
One thing... all the tyres I have done... not once needed to use lube. Can't say it's ever needed. Also never fancied putting salty washing-up liquid into rim!
I balanced my anacondas with plastic airsoft BB's and it works well for tubeless and will dynamically self balance even when you lose knobbles off tyre. About 8oz of them in each tyre.
I used to reseat the tyre back on rim with a bit of easy start  :lol: I would again if I had too, but I found my heavy duty tyre pump actual reseats the anacondas onto white rim by itself or with aid of strap without any hassle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_cXpnGbz4M
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 23:44:30 by Tanglefoot »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 23:36:33 »
oo into the landy bit ;)

High lift on the bead and jack off the tow bar.

Balance with 400 grams of bb shot.

Jobs a good un ;)
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 00:29:18 »
See, I do a lot of road miles in mine and I don't tend to hang around much. So I think I'll need to get them properly balanced when I next change tyres! I want to go to 245/75 R16 Kumho KL71s, so won't hit the problems people have with extreme mud patterns.

Might get one of those bead breakers as a handy thing to own though. I did once try to remove a tyre which had a big hole in the sidewall using my hilift and towbar but couldn't get the bead to break.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:13:02 »
See, I do a lot of road miles in mine and I don't tend to hang around much. So I think I'll need to get them properly balanced when I next change tyres! I want to go to 245/75 R16 Kumho KL71s, so won't hit the problems people have with extreme mud patterns.

Might get one of those bead breakers as a handy thing to own though. I did once try to remove a tyre which had a big hole in the sidewall using my hilift and towbar but couldn't get the bead to break.

Just keep on working around. I've never failed to brake a bead (changed dozens and dozens of tyres this way), but sometimes it can take several attempts at different points on the side wall before it goes, that and the back of the truck being in the air ;)
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 11:07:32 »
never failed to break a bead with hilift here either but have had some tough ones (old hard as hell tyres on ancient rusty Series II rims were worst!) , if rotating doesn't help no need to go silly and crush it down , weight of truck with jack in right place and leaving it like that for a wee while to let it think about the error of it ways seems to bring it around.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Disco-andy

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 13:10:34 »
oo into the landy bit ;)

High lift on the bead and jack off the tow bar.

Balance with 400 grams of bb shot.

Jobs a good un ;)

is bb shot the stuff you can buy for balanceing tyres or a cheeper alternative?

Iv chaanged my own tyres for a few years now but balanceing has always been a problem.

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 16:24:10 »
You can buy the special beads or use bb shot.
You must have the same weight of either so it if using bb shot, you may need a lot of them
Mine arnt ballanced but when they need it, i will use beads
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline robkav

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 00:46:42 »
[!Expletive Deleted!] that boys make friends with someone at a local tire place and give them a "drink" i used to cut tires of rims with a petrol disc cutter even took ages.

Offline william127

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 09:37:58 »
i tryed to take a load of bald tyres off their rims last year, broke the bead no problems with a highlift and a tractor, but no way could i get them off after that, even with 5 footlevers. kwickfit change, balance and fit em back on the truck for a tenner each if you pay in the correct way :wink: thats where ill get mine done next time
1990 defender 127 flatbed 200tdi mud tyres stripdown started 14/03, now striped, ned to start the expensive bit
1992 rrc vogue se izuzu 2.8td running well so it got sold,
2003 110 td5 hardtop,ex mod, arived 25/04, bfg a/ts, ply lined, k and n filter, honda sport seats, rear demountable 2000lb winch, security grills,high lift with winching kit, mountney small steering wheel, momo gear knob, front spots, airhorns, hd steering, diff guard, ex army  center towpin bumper replaced with winch bumper, rear mounted bottle opener, cheaquer plate, neon underbody light, ex police map light,1000 watt inverter, reversing camera
2007 ford ranger wildtrack d/cab(dads)
yamaha big bear 350 2wd, likes to eat flies, fixed (until i roll it again)

Offline bombx3

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 14:10:30 »
i take the valves out then drive in a circle that breaks the bead easy as pie
 defender 200 tdi. 59,000m ,winch .spots,front rollcage,rear internalcage,snorkel,undersealed,polybushed,tweaked motor,roof tent ,muds ,noise reducers,stainless exhaust,3"lift+4 shocks,chequered plating,12 change cd ,cb,sound proof kit,sunroof,landrover carpet,wading kit.hilift jack,rock sliders jackable,axle breather kit,folding forward facing rear,roof rack to carry roof tent, seat,electric seat warmer.tilt meter,full stainlees exhaust,fire exstingsher thatcham alarm ,immobolizer , fsh and only used on sundays once a month,now 38" boggers,wide ange props,4pin diff ,ashcroft shafts,qt steering bar ,winch

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 19:36:28 »
And a good chance of wrecking the tyre walls!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline ragerover

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 19:47:47 »
[!Expletive Deleted!] that boys make friends with someone at a local tire place and give them a "drink" i used to cut tires of rims with a petrol disc cutter even took ages.
couldn't agree more the lads at the local quickfit are on crap money
and with the credit crunch are allways skint
I pay a fiver ballanced with a new valve ( cash in hand)
and there allways pleased to see me
plus when you price up tyres for the mrs runabout I get a great deal
growing old is compulsory --- growing up is optional

Offline bombx3

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 21:35:35 »
not if your carefull its not much difference to getting a punture
 defender 200 tdi. 59,000m ,winch .spots,front rollcage,rear internalcage,snorkel,undersealed,polybushed,tweaked motor,roof tent ,muds ,noise reducers,stainless exhaust,3"lift+4 shocks,chequered plating,12 change cd ,cb,sound proof kit,sunroof,landrover carpet,wading kit.hilift jack,rock sliders jackable,axle breather kit,folding forward facing rear,roof rack to carry roof tent, seat,electric seat warmer.tilt meter,full stainlees exhaust,fire exstingsher thatcham alarm ,immobolizer , fsh and only used on sundays once a month,now 38" boggers,wide ange props,4pin diff ,ashcroft shafts,qt steering bar ,winch

Offline bombx3

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 21:36:28 »
if your fitting new tyres does it matter

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 22:54:08 »

LOL. your a funny man.
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline bombx3

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 08:26:57 »

LOL. your a funny man.
ah but you know it works hey ;)

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 15:46:17 »
£10 to change and balance a tyre  :shock: :shock: :shock:

fking hell, I bet I could change them all before you've even got your car to kwikfit ramp.

The reason you couldn't get the tyre off the rim is because you didn't have the bead in the dip when you tried to take it off, so you were trying to strech the (steel re-enforced) bead around the rim.

Yeah bb shot, as in the plastic stuff. It's about £5 for a kilo, you'll need about 1 1/2 kilo's to balance a 33 - 35 inch tyre.  Kitchen scales are more than accurate enough for weighing it out ;)
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal