AuthorTopic: wheel help  (Read 1360 times)

Offline bustermb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
wheel help
« on: November 21, 2009, 23:24:43 »
hi guys i run 18 inc on my p38 and my spare 18 will not fit in the wheel well, if i use a 16" spare will i cause any problems in am emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 any help thanks :D
matches are a p38 owners best friend

Offline Pete

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
Re: wheel help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 00:34:53 »
 Since you would need a tyre of the same rolling diameter, a smaller wheel wouldn't help.
 Putting a smaller diameter tyre on as spare could cause real problems.

If it's the width that's causing the problem, you might get away with a narrower tyre of the same diameter,
bit like the space saver spares fitted to some cars. If it's the height that's the problem, go to 16s all round.

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 13:31:48 »
hi guys i run 18 inc on my p38 and my spare 18 will not fit in the wheel well, if i use a 16" spare will i cause any problems in am emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As stated it needs to be the same rolling diameter or it will cause problems with the diffs.
Why does it not fit? are they non standard tyres ?? 18" werew standard fitment to higher spec models :? :?

In an emergency there is always the tyre weld aerosols that will get you home or to the tyre shop which alot of people use when they put the lpg tank in the boot  ;)

Pete.... P38 spare lives in wheel well lay flat, not like the classic which is upright.
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 15:19:23 »
Make it look like a real landy n stick it on the bonnet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Brett69

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 20:26:54 »

I told him to do that ;)
Have 4wd Need MUD!!!

P38 Range Rover
Power chipped
Bull Bars
Roof Rails
CB Rig
3" Body Lift
32" Goodyear MTR's
Modified Bumpers & exhaust system

Need Snorkel an winch bumpers

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 14:02:16 »
Hello Mate,

You can use a 16" rim and fit a tyre that is roughly the same diameter as the other tryes you should be O.K. for short distances.
A minimal rolling difference will not cause damage as the slip diff is designed to release any "wind-up" from the wheels.
On a Land Rover, if you have Diff lock enagaged then that is where a diff problem would occur, that is.. on tarmac with different size tyres.
If you carried a non-matching spare and had a puncture NEVER put the non-matching spare on the front axle.
As you say this would only be an emergency action and as soon as you got home you would need to not use the LR and fit the normal size tyre back on as soon as you can get it repaired or re-newed.
Cheers..............
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline bustermb

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 23:15:43 »
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
but am now thinking about it lol

Offline bustermb

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 23:18:58 »

As stated it needs to be the same rolling diameter or it will cause problems with the diffs.
Why does it not fit? are they non standard tyres ?? 18" werew standard fitment to higher spec models :? :?

In an emergency there is always the tyre weld aerosols that will get you home or to the tyre shop which alot of people use when they put the lpg tank in the boot  ;)

Pete.... P38 spare lives in wheel well lay flat, not like the classic which is upright.
yes standerd wheels in 18 oh what to do :-.

Offline bustermb

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 23:26:13 »
BIG thanks guys any help taken and well get a couple of cans of tyre weld in there, if it comes to it on  long dist put spare 18 on passinger seat and misses on roof rack !!!!!!! lol   only  joke she is next to me ( think in heading for a slap) but worth a try :dance:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal