AuthorTopic: Where to mount the hi lift.......???  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Disco-Ron

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Where to mount the hi lift.......???
« on: November 15, 2009, 23:11:14 »
Hi all, disco 1............ i have looked at the rear wheel mount yo can get, and the jack looks a little vulnerable sat right out the back like that, so just after other locations that people have mounted their jacks........ mine normally lives across the boor floor, but it decided to smash the plastic side panel today, and sometimes it'd be handy if the jack was accessable without opening the rear door...!!!

So, your thoughts please...............
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: Where to mount the hi lift.......???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 00:20:57 »
The spare wheel mounts are fine providing you remember that it's there. Only snag is that the jack can get dirty, although I've seen a sort of neoprene bandage thing to wrap around the mechanism and keep muck out (unfortunately the review didn't include a UK stockist).

Wherever it goes, it needs to be securely fixed. A hilift is more than heavy enough to kill if it hits you in a rollover.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:25:38 »
I mounted mine on the floor behind the front seats. Sat perfectly there and even with the seats folded flat and the boot full you could still get to it and it was mostly hidden out of sight from prying eyes!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 18:48:00 »
Always Had mine mounted to the Spare Wheel with one of Wizards wonderful bits of kits, never had a problem with forgetting it was there cos the big black thing in the rear window gives it away... lol

but yes it is very prone to getting dirty ive had to clean and oil mine quite regulary so some sort off cover would be good

if u have a roof rack how about on the side of the rack? or maybe on the top but still leaves it open to the weather
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 18:57:42 »
Spare wheel seems popular then....... seeing as mine is a 3dr, behind the seats on the floor isn't really an option, besides, i can't always get the doors open when i need the jack...LOL.... i held the jack in the space between the number plate and the spare wheel, and it would just about fit, i would either need to make a bracket, or use the hi lift ones to mount it directly to the door........ biggest issue i have with this is the height of the jack above the roofline, seeing as my truck lives inside my garage it could be an issue....LOL!!

Oh, and as for the covers............ did you mean this..................  http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p1925c241/0/hi-lift-neoprene-jack-cover.html
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 19:06:46 »
 :shock: Blimey how muchhhhhhhhh lol
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 19:18:08 »

all of the hilift stuff is expencive for what it is. seems like your paying more for the name.

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline jash410

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 19:45:25 »
hi there just a thought i took one of my seats out of the boot and stood the jack up right and made some brackets for it to bolt to i at 2 cut the jack down a bit but you can buy the smaller ones that do fit right in

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 20:02:19 »

£29 for a sock  :shock:   im gona put an old welly on mine for a gigle
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

mattyme

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 21:08:04 »
mine is on the roof rack.

tho i have seen them mounted on hi lift mounts accross the bonnet.... just in front of the wipers so it doesnt weigh the bonnet down.

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 21:17:59 »
I went for a while with mine outside on my series and was forever oiling it or it would seize!

I now keep mine inside the boot of my Discovery.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 21:37:35 »
I thought about on the back edge of the bonnet...... looks nasty though......... thought about opn the side of the roof............ a bit high to lift it to be honest..... what with the truck being 4 inches higher than sttandard ............. thought about on the inside of the rear door............ but the jack might still be too long to fit, and i don;t wanna cut the jack down cos................ yep, the truck is high so the jack needs to be long...LOL..... ho hum..... i'll figure something out..............

I do tent to keep the jack oiled anyway, and the truck does live indoors as i said... so i might just go with my idea for next to the spare wheel.....

We'll see.............

Thanks for the ideas etc................

Offline beggers

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 21:51:29 »
I've been toyin with makin summat that fixes to a rear ladder but can't get a full length ladder to try it on :( Quite good at fabricatin stuff but need a base to start with.....lolol  If I find a ladder I'll give it a go :)
Second Disco 300Tdi and loving it !

Cheers

Beggers

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 22:19:47 »

all of the hilift stuff is expencive for what it is. seems like your paying more for the name.

especiallt where D4x4 are concerned.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 23:54:17 »
I keep mine stripped in 3 large pices on the floor under the back of my seat, that wat it slides out through the driver's door or you can lift it out from inside.  The 5 foot hi-lift fits neatly between the 2 front doors.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:37 »
mine is fixed to the dog/load guard, used the standard mounting kit and made some plates up to fix through on the guard. Its out of the way, secure and out of the weather. Its a Jackall, and heavy but its been fitted on there for a couple of years now with no problems.
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Dr.Ed

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 10:30:46 »
mines behind the back seats between the wheel arches, the top fits nicely in the gap between the seat and rear trim - stops it rattling around!
Ed Walker

"Real life is for those who can't handle Real Ale"

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 18:08:13 »

Oh, and as for the covers............ did you mean this..................  http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p1925c241/0/hi-lift-neoprene-jack-cover.html

Dont hold me to this BUT, I reckon I could make something similar but possibly go the full length of the jack out of an old sailing boat sail I have. I have made a caravan awning pole bag before now. Took me blooming ages though! :lol: If I get the time  :lol: I might give it a go and make one if anyone out there might like to purchase it off me once done.

Any ideas how much a full length bag would cost to buy once made? Obviously it wont have the hi lift symbol on but you can write it on in permanent marker if you so desired!  :lol:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline THONG BOY

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 16:25:15 »
north off road do a lader and jack rack in one that is quite smart

james
james curtis-dawson tarbet west scotland
200 tdi front n rear HD bumpers, 12000lb winch, rock sliders, roof rack, light bar + spots, bonnet pod, 750/16MTs wolf rims, 2 inch lift,safty devices internal roll cage

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 21:30:19 »
Any pics of their ladderr and jack mount.... i can't find any on their website.... TA...

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 22:27:25 »

Dont hold me to this BUT, I reckon I could make something similar but possibly go the full length of the jack out of an old sailing boat sail I have. I have made a caravan awning pole bag before now. Took me blooming ages though! :lol: If I get the time  :lol: I might give it a go and make one if anyone out there might like to purchase it off me once done.

Any ideas how much a full length bag would cost to buy once made? Obviously it wont have the hi lift symbol on but you can write it on in permanent marker if you so desired!  :lol:

Big gun case would probably fit or a rod bag??
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 17:22:42 »
Well, i went for the simple option and bought the bracket from wizardbilt............ bolted it on this morning.......... first thing i did was shorten the distance the jack sits from the spare..... as i'm only running 235's it was miles too far off the wheel for my liking..... second thing i did was cut 4 inches off the jack, as it wouldn;t fit in my garage with it on...LOL...... the next thing i will do is put a plate over the two studs before i fit the jack, that way, even when the jack is padlocked in place, you will need more than an allen key to nick it!!!!! the bolt simply lines up with one of the holes in the jack....... not ideal!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal