AuthorTopic: Discovery clutch replacement?  (Read 10131 times)

Offline howlinmadmartin

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Buy it, drive it, weld it, break it, weld it again
  • Referrals: 0
Discovery clutch replacement?
« on: November 03, 2009, 12:42:46 »
Hi guys my disco needs a new clutch and i was just wondering what the best way to go about this was, ive been told that engine out is the easiest way but i cant see how you would get the top bell housing bolts out. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated its a 200 tdi by the way
many thanks
martin
its a land rover, "they all do that sir!!!"

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Re: Discovery clutch replacement?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 13:27:36 »
I've heard engine out is easiest as well... that said, either way you'll need to get the internal transmission tunnel out (drill out the rivets) and that should give access (although not easily) to the bell housing bolts.

Remember to fit a re-inforced clutch fork while your at it... and a relaese bearing (Right name?)... you wouldn't want to go back in  there in a few weeks now would you..?

Skibum

Offline Fourby

Attack Member
  • West Midlands Regional Rep
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 14:59:40 »
it is possible to change a clutch by dropping the gearbox from underneath, but you'll need the muscle of a few mates and/or some jacks and blocks of wood if you try.

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 17:30:23 »
it is possible to change a clutch by dropping the gearbox from underneath, but you'll need the muscle of a few mates and/or some jacks and blocks of wood if you try.

or down my pit  ;)

John
John.

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 18:46:04 »
VERY LONG EXENSION BAR!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline les baty

Attack Member
  • Bring on the Mud!!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 20:54:19 »
iv done a couple now and in my opinion if you are doing it on the drive, take the engine out.  the gearbox and transfer box are very heavy and not easy to balance so there is a lot of mauling under the car and if the transfer box and gearbox fell on you, you would know about it. removing the engine is far safer and easier. good luck with the top bolt, it realy will test you, also fit good quality parts and a reinforced clutch fork
One Les Live It!!!!!

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 21:12:51 »
in my opinion I would take the gearbox out. I done this recently It was fairly easy to be honest. the weight of the gear boxes will make the engine tip back slightly  making all of the bell housing bolts acessable. i had a mate lower the boxes down sepratly on a rope through the center console. you will need a clutch alighnment tool also I have one if you need it.

stretchy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline craig_midz

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 21:30:28 »
easiest way to get top bell housin bolts on 200 tdi is take weight of engine on jack undo the bolt an take it out that goes through the middle of engine mount an then lower then jack an u will have plenty of room then to get socket on to em or a small 17mm spanner an u can undo from up top that way doin it like that u can leave center console as it is

Offline howlinmadmartin

Attack Member
  • Buy it, drive it, weld it, break it, weld it again
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 22:42:50 »
Many thanks guys will replace clutch fork with hd variety. Will have a go either this weekend or next week will let u know how it goes.
its a land rover, "they all do that sir!!!"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 22:18:39 »
On the V8 I found that I had to bend a 14mm spanner, then hit it with a long bar and hammer to loosen the bolts, so now I assemble every extension bar I'd got (it helps if you use lots of shorter ones as they flex a little) and I end up lieing somewhere near the back axle.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline SEDDEY

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 18:01:22 »
I cheated!!  :-$

I looked at it, asked the local clutch centre and what they would do it for ........ and they got the job!

Done and returned in just over half a day.    :clap:

'Tis great to have all the gear!! 
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely
200TDi discovery

Offline JIMBOBLY

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 21:07:23 »
easiest way to get top bell housin bolts on 200 tdi is take weight of engine on jack undo the bolt an take it out that goes through the middle of engine mount an then lower then jack an u will have plenty of room then to get socket on to em or a small 17mm spanner an u can undo from up top that way doin it like that u can leave center console as it is
exactly the way i do it mate,this way is easier as well,if you are doing it on your own too,and safer,in my opinion :D

Offline mark-d

Attack Member
    • Holland
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 21:22:19 »

how i done mine couple of weeks ago, having done it both ways this is bay far eaiser

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal