AuthorTopic: Drive carefully  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Drive carefully
« on: December 19, 2003, 14:58:48 »
Found on another LR forum.

Don't even consider drinking & driving, and don't let anyone you know do it

Image deleted 13.1.04
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline wifey

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 11:14:08 »
I'll second that Richard; not even the "one's OK isn't it?" as one leads to another and then another...
Picking up (literally) the peices after some w**k** has ploughed into a family is one of the most depressing things about our line of work at Christmas.
cheers! 8)
tina
Shiny Blue Crew Disco 200 Tdi J236 RVM
as yet unamed (aww!) Defender 90 2.25D E50 KEH
thrive under pressure and seize the day!
www.thriveunderpressure.com

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 11:40:18 »
I thought it was pretty obvious 'Don't Drink and Drive' , otherwise you spill it all over yourself.  :lol:

What a waste of good beer  :evil:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 11:43:58 »
My sentiments entirely Tina, I've seen it far too many times myself.

If only you could show the sorry sacks of [PooPoo] the injuries their selfish stupid behaviour causes.

Without being too graphic, one of the last really big ones I saw was 2 kids who'd been playing chicken on the M1.
I think you can guess the outcome :(
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 12:37:56 »
Without wanting to belittle the message.. I love the advert.. It's very powerful.

10 out of 10 to the marketing personages who came up with it.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 12:38:51 »
On the positive side, many people of my generation (I'm 27) regard drinking & driving as a real no-no.  Apart from one of my friends (you know who you are  :x  .)

In comparison, my sister's generation (mid-40s) seem to take the view "oh, I'll have a few, I'll be alright as long as I don't get stopped".

I'm glad to see the attitude is changing.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 14:41:00 »
Don't you know a friendly Undertaker who would show your sister the aftermath?
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bob

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 19:18:45 »
In comparison, my sister's generation (mid-40s) seem to take the view "oh, I'll have a few, I'll be alright as long as I don't get stopped".

As a mid-40 myself I take objection to this generalisation.  :evil:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who even considers their fitness to drive the morning after never mind the night before.
Bob
1994 300Tdi
DOC Member
Elddis Caravan Owners Club Member
www.elddisowners.co.uk

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2003, 13:50:08 »
the 40s generalisation i am not sure about either, i think that the message is very much across at all levels , but there is the hardcore.

when i first started driving , drinking appeared to be the norm - most of the peeps i knew did it.  but the raising of the awareness of the impact of this has really taken hold and I wont touch it if im driving along i guess with millions of others.

but I am sure that there are unfortunatley those out there who are immune to this and some of us may know them. this could lead to perhaps a stereotype view, which may have happened in this case.

I personally dont know any 40somethings who d&d , but I do know a fifty something who does.   So my opinion based upon that could be that all those of the 50 s generation d&d!?!?  ...  that could be thermidorthelobster's angle of approach, perhaps.

dave
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2003, 10:42:04 »
Quote from: "Bob"

As a mid-40 myself I take objection to this generalisation.

Sorry Bob, no offence intended.  You're right, it was a generalisation, based on a few people I know.  It's probably as much to do with moving in a certain sphere as anything else.

On a related note, driving out this morning I saw a BMW parked on a nearby residential street which had been hit a glancing blow by somebody who was evidently on the wrong side of the road.  Gutting for the owner when they come out later today and see it, because I don't suppose the miscreant stopped.

I'd put money on it being somebody who'd had a few glasses too much on Christmas Day and decided to drive home anyway.

David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2003, 10:56:46 »
the thing is of those i have heard saying 1 or 2 will be alright to drive are normally those older than i

people my age and younger see drinking and driving as socially unacceptable as well as being obviously dangerous.. if any of the group of my friends mention it they are immediately shouted at..

i suppose the same could be said of smoking (albeit in a different context) because as some of you will experience over xmas the inevitable visit of the grannies/grandads and discussing with them smoking. in their day smoking wasnt considered a health hazard

one of them has to have an inhaler constantly due to smoking..

it would be interesting to see what age group were caught drinking and driving or was it evenly spread across the spectrum of ages?

Offline wifey

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 12:32:53 »
all ages, all genders I expect.
and yes, the generational aspect regarding health can apply but you would think that the message would get through - doesn't though.
my 21 year old niece smoked throughout pregnancy, with the inevitable small (but admittedly cute) baby as a result. mind you, they went out the other night and although the journey home was only a few short yards, they walked (despite the pouring rain) as she wouldn't let her partner drive (having had a skinful). Result? Awoken by police at 3 am due to some drunk righting their (parked) BMW off being d&d.
Not the same BMW i think :?
As for the morning after, I seem to remember being told as a sutdent that it takes 8 hours after your last drink before you're fit again. I'll try to check that.
Hope everyone has a Great New Year and all the best for 2004!
cheers! 8)
tina

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 12:02:08 »
Out of interest ....

1) My Grandfather got taken to hospital on Boxing Day :(  (he's alright by all accounts),  Total time for ambulance to turn up, nearly four minutes... much , impressed, also very gratefull for the rather splendiforous way the nhs treated him ....  (thought I should mention this)

2) Drinking and driving is wrong, full stop, end of story.

3) Does anyone find it a little odd that the government is trying to prosecute people for "dangerous driving" for eating and drinking whilst at the wheel, but not for smoking?
--

Offline wifey

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2003, 12:36:55 »
Quote from: "datalas"
3) Does anyone find it a little odd that the government is trying to prosecute people for "dangerous driving" for eating and drinking whilst at the wheel, but not for smoking?

sorry about your granddad.
as for smoking in the car...
surely lighting up, even if you use the in-car lighter, is more dangerous than anything else? Imagine dropping something hot on your lap!
cheers! 8)
tina

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2003, 15:50:58 »
I agree whole heartedly....

I've seen a couple of things now where the government is trying to crack down on "dangerous driving" siting peolle "drinking from cans" and so on whilst driving, so far *all* of them have ommited to mention that smoking (asside from being daft in the first place) is practially insane whilst driving a car...

The last thing I would want in a potential accident is to have something on fire in the car ...

now as for a dashboard mounted pizza oven, *that* would be a different story....
--

Offline Colin 009

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
Drive carefully
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2003, 23:31:43 »
Found out today that texting is not illegal on a hands free phone set-up  :shock:

Saw some idiot texting on the M25 today the phone was down on the centre console, so was he watching where he was going was he b******
Cheers.
Colin,
Shiny Blue Crew 009
                   "Everbody Has to be Somewhere"

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2003, 23:34:56 »
I'd heard that as well, how stupid is that  :?:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Drive carefully
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2003, 23:40:25 »
and the tories want to make revenue collectors^h^h speed cameras a "fine only" thing...

why don't they just put road tax upto £30,000 a year?  since it's becoming clear that all of this "safety" stuff is more to do with getting money out of the road users than anything else...

It wouldnt' be so bad if we had a public transport system to use instead :(
--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal