AuthorTopic: V8 Tune ? PLEASE HELP  (Read 890 times)

Offline andrew2986

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
  • Referrals: 0
V8 Tune ? PLEASE HELP
« on: September 22, 2009, 15:07:47 »
OK,
Ive just had quite a bit of engine work to my disco.
Im abroad at the mo so haven't actually driven the thing since its had all the work done to it, however the mechanic is now saying it could now do with "setting up properly as it feels down on power" suggesting I take it to RPI as he doesn't have the facilities to do it. (i dont want to do this, although RPI was were the cam came from)
Its had a better cam and some modded heads put on it.
Now I thought on a 3.9 efi other than good plugs and air filter, that was all you could do, or am I missing something?
The EFI Brain sorts out the required fuelling isn't this so? Does it need an amount time to learn if its had stuff changed? (none of the mods have been that drastic, and if any one wants I could detail them later)

It's running 32" tyres and since fitting them has, I think been a little over geared, (I have a fix for this, with a set of 4.11 ring gears fitted to a pair of ARB's  soon to go in)
plus it's a heavy old bus, with 4 lpg tanks and loads of stuff in the boot (inc a replacement 1.4:1 transfer box that i was going to fit to sort the gearing but am now changing the diffs instead)

It might all be fine, and im sitting 3000 miles away worrying needlessly about all the money Ive just waisted on my disco and when I get home it will all be ok.

If it does need setting up as such is there anyone in the Essex area could help? I dont mind paying to get it right.

Ive always done all the work to my disco and have learnt loads about it in the 4 years Ive had it.

Im so [!Expletive Deleted!] off right now ! And am tired of all the excuses that mechanics keep coming out with.

Anyway, fellow mud-clubbers! Help a V8 owner out here! I want it right, please help.......

Andy
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:33:33 by andrew2986 »
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline piggysteve

Attack Member
Re: V8 Tune ? PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 17:25:38 »
Andy, I'll have a word with number one son Chris when I see him tomorrow, he might know somebody

Steve
Ex pat Yorkshireman.

P38 diesel

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:23 »
Hi Steve,
Miriam drove it home for me last night, Im on a show in Egypt at the mo. The car broke down once on the way home ! (a mate of mine went out and got her home).
Also the mechanic has screwed up the brakes as well.  when it was running Mim nearly stuffed the Disco into the back of someones car. She says theres no peddle pressure and sod all brakes !!. He re-bled the system to renew all the fluid but i dont think he did it properly (its got ABS).
plus he has knackered the A/C rad as well.

Ah well, Im home on Sat, will go over the car then and see what is what. dont think I will ever trust another mechanic though....

Andy

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline piggysteve

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 22:45:41 »
Andy Have'nt seen Chris yet but have seen this for sale, seems he's talking of a different ecu to run on lpg
Ex pat Yorkshireman.

P38 diesel

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 21:25:26 »
Been home since Sat now... well [!Expletive Deleted!] off. car runs like a pig...seems to be running very rich on petrol.
just spent an hour re-fitting all the lpg system and re-conecting all the wires the chap left hanging off and have managed to get the LPG system running now. but not well.
Ive got a sequential LPG front end to go on it but need to get this one running properly first.
Going down to pipe craft tomorrow see if they can sort out the exhaust, no point trying to sort out the tune if thats no good...

Andy

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 14:17:08 »
Think Ive sorted the engine !!

After driving it properly for a long distance, and listening to it rather than just cursing it I worked out it was only running on 7 cylinders....
Without boring you all, after poking about for half an hour it turns out that the connector that plugs into No1 cylinder had been miss-plugged with a sensor near No1 injector, think it might be a fuel pressure sensor but cannot find the Haynes at the mo to confirm. So swapped them over and all seems ok now, doesn't seem to have done any damage, so onto the next problem.....

Offline Buddha

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 13:31:26 »
 :oops:

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear that all's not well with your Disco, especially after recommending the mechanic!

If there's anything I can do to assist with getting it sorted then please let me know.
My phone number's not changed, so call if you need someone to run you from an alternative mechanic or similar.

Chris

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 21:37:19 »
If it's had a cam and heads then it probabl;y needs chipping.  The ECu is self-tuning to a point but will see the extra air-flow as being a wider throttle opening so will become uneconomical at mid throttle and won't run at all well with wide open throttle.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 21:57:26 »
It's not running to badly now.  But was thinking of rechipping. Any recomendations?
Sorting the exhaust on the 7th the chap at pipecraft is letting me fit the headers at his work shop then he will sort out the flange to y pipe welding. Have then got a chap going to give the LPG a onceover. Had quite a few people now recomend I stay with the single point system rather than convert it to sequential will se what the score is when I get it looked at next week
andy

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 00:59:45 »
Personally I prefer my multi point LPG though that could do with a service.  As for a chip, I think it's Mark Admas that programs them for RPI, or you could try John Eals.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal