AuthorTopic: Nankang tyres - opinions?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline DoubleTop

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Nankang tyres - opinions?
« on: September 19, 2009, 20:05:21 »
Hi all,

In prep for Abingdon next week I've finally got around to sorting out the 15's for the Freelander that I plan to use for the times I go to off road.  Being 15's, and looking at a handy link posted in the Freelander forum, max size without any issues with clearance etc is 215/80/r15.
I've found a local place (ish) that will do balancing, vales and fitting for £20 for the four, and I'll be giving the rims a coat of hammerite tomorrow :D

So, cheapest AT tyre that I can find, as they really only get put on the car once a month, is http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=49948

If I go slightly smaller, they have the Maxxis in stock that I've heard positive things about, but this Nankang brand from Australia has caught my eye a little.  Anyone on here seen them or used them before?  Will they really suit the needs and cope with the requirements?

Cheers,

DT.
Currently playing Space Pioneers
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline 300TDi Disco

Attack Member
Re: Nankang tyres - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 20:43:33 »
This is my opinion of nankang tyres:- Don't drive faster than 30mph, they aint the best in the rain. Quality tyres all the way. It's not all about handling but it's braking as well.

I use these tyres when i'm using the landy on the road. These are 215/75/15 which should fit your's:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m26b0s489p11252

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 20:46:27 by V8defender90 »
Let's Ave It.
One Life, Get One

Peugeot 206 XS
Fiat Ducato (work van)
Disco 300TDI

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 21:05:03 »
cheers, so the Nankangs will be fine for the off-roading, BUT drive there slowly if it's raining!  The tyres currently on the motor on the big alloys are for roading, I'm looking have a bit more grip off-road, without busting the bank.
I'm tempted to spend up, to save swapping wheels over, but I know that AT's will be noisier and less effective when braking.  What a can of worms buying a set of tyres is!  The maxxis at a slightly smaller size are in stock and the same price as the nankangs.

I think, whilst writing this I've pretty much decided to go down a size in order to get the Maxxis, 215.75's, unless I got advised otherwise :D

DT.
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 15:45:51 »
The nankangs are as hard as hell.

Great wear because of it, but not great in the wet. Motorway speeds are fine, but dont brake late into a roundabout and floor it and expect the back end to be where you left it.

Expect BFG like millage out of them though.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 16:39:19 »
after a few phone calls to online stores, and then some more to some local tyre fitters that are listed on mytyres to work out the total costs I've booked in to have some tyres fitted tomorrow.

A local place has price matched the tyres at store to the cheapest I found them online, so I quoted the price online, the fitting charge they wanted per tyre and they've matched it.  A bit of a result really in my book.  So a set of four Falken LA AT 215/80/r15 go on the rims tomorrow :)

A new battery also arrives tomorrow and I'll have a couple of runs on the AT's before taking them off road, I've seen a few new tyres pop off when stressed after a short lead in time when at other events.

Abingdon here I come :D  Cheers for the advice guys, the Nankangs are actually quite hard to find in stock it would seem!!

DT.

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 18:39:05 »
Falken RV Landair AT's now fitted, on the car.  215/80/15 and filling the arches nicely, no catching on full lock either so the thread in the Freelander section was spot on :)

First impression on road, nice, very nice, surprisingly quiet.  I am however comparing to the Insa's I put onto my Disco.  This weekend will see a muddy performance.

DT.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal