AuthorTopic: TD5 smoky start - eventually non-start...  (Read 536 times)

Offline age

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 smoky start - eventually non-start...
« on: September 03, 2009, 17:31:33 »
one of my occasional 'head above the parapet' moments .......!

Interesting problems then solution - assuming starts ok tomorrow.

I posted ages ago that I had smoky start and losing coolant - general view was head gasket, which had been done 1 yr previously.

I searched around loads of useful stuff here - thank you - and this seemed v convincing.  Couldn't afford head off nor car off road (wife's Volvo was dead too!!) so left it alone......

Eventually nasty 'knocky' starts, then locked up non-start.  Hydraulic-ed with coolant I think to myself along with many clourful expletives.

Very good friend who knows diesels comes to 'help' (i.e. do all the work) stripping down as far as poss to confirm diagnosis.

After a few false starts, removed glow plugs to remove cranking pressure and lo and behold No. 1 is pumping out clouds of diesel. 

Removed injector, covered in diesel, clearly not shutting off at all.

Cylinder full of diesle - so at least it was 'hydraulic-ed', and starving other 4 injectors hence no start at all.

New injector off ebay for £175, new glow plugs while we were at it, new fuel filter in case that was source of any cr*p in injector.

All back together.  runs smoother than for ages, all 4 glow plugs make for a smoke free start, and free flowing fuel seems to have increased pulling power noticeably.

Found couple of leaking rad/coolant pipes so tightened them up.  See how well it starts tomorrow morning, but so far so good......

Sorry for the drivel, but just in case anyone has similar symptoms and it might help!  Cheers, A
3 Defenders on and I'd still buy another.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal