AuthorTopic: Spare Wheel Carrier Problem  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Gordo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
  • Referrals: 0
Spare Wheel Carrier Problem
« on: August 22, 2009, 22:55:45 »
I spent a happy couple of hours stripping down the tailgate on my Freelander to run wiring for a spare-wheel mounted CB antennae. All was going well until I came to re-fit the spare-wheel carrier, when one of the mounting bolts that's fixed to the door sheared:

According to the Haynes book the torque setting for the nuts is 25Nm, and the one that sheared didn't get tight before it went.

Unfortunately you can't just pull it out from the inside of the door, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to fix it (or more likely, get it fixed). Any suggestions?
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline burgerman

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Spare Wheel Carrier Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:02:32 »
 Drill it out, fit a riv nut and use a bolt from the outside  :-k
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

Offline si-freelander

Attack Member
  • who said a hippo could not do what a tank dose.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:09:53 »
ktm those nuts are self tappers had one shear off on me so dilled out fitted lager self tapping nut in its place.

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 13:43:30 »
The stud is spot-welded from the inside, and threaded for its whole length so I'm not sure what you mean by "self-tapping".

Having re-fitted the mount with six bolts and the other nut, it seems solid enough to put the wheel back on it.

I think I'll get someone with more skill than I have to drill it out, replace it and re-seal it to keep out the rust.
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal