AuthorTopic: disco 200tdi head gasket skim ??  (Read 7747 times)

Offline stretchy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
disco 200tdi head gasket skim ??
« on: August 16, 2009, 15:23:35 »

alrite felas
head gasket went yesterday so ive just took the head of and I can clearly see where the gasket has failed. some of you may know that im not working at the moment so mony is tight and I just want to be sure if my head defanatly needs a skim. how can i tell? also do any of you know a place I can get a skim done the same day in the birmingham area? I was also told that if my head has already had a skim then the gadge of gasket will difer. the only identification I can fined is a tab on the gasket that sits out the block with 3 holes in it, can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks guys
stretchy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline doda456

Attack Member
Re: disco 200tdi head gasket skim ??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 15:46:18 »
3 holes is the fatest one, available,  so your head may have already been skimmed, or what happenend is last time the head gasket went, someone just stuckstuck the fat on  to save measuring,

Dan

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 16:04:55 »
3 holes is the fatest one, available, 

Is that right? I thought the gasket with no holes was actually the thickest one ~ sounds illogical which s why it stuck in my memory. Haven't got access to my workshop manual at the moment so can't check  [-o<

IIRC, the thickness of the gasket is determined by how far above the block the pistons protrude. If I'm right then it doesn't matter whether the head has been skimmed or not, the pistons will still stick up by the same amount.

Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 16:09:39 »
so are you saying if I do get it skimed tomoro I can still use a 3 holes gasket and it will be ok ??

thanks
stretch
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 16:13:18 »
That's certainly my understanding, yes.

~~ Insert usual caveat about not accepting responsibility for completely forking up the above info ~~

Regards

Steve G

Offline ChrisW70

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 17:28:12 »
Quote from: SteveGoodz
Is that right? I thought the gasket with no holes was actually the thickest one ~ sounds illogical which s why it stuck in my memory. Haven't got access to my workshop manual at the moment so can't check  [-o<

IIRC, the thickness of the gasket is determined by how far above the block the pistons protrude. If I'm right then it doesn't matter whether the head has been skimmed or not, the pistons will still stick up by the same amount.

That's correct, no hole is thickest, 2mm I think and it's dependent upon the protrusion of the piston above the block, absolutely nothing to do with whether the head has been skimmed.
A new head bolt set is worthwhile as the threads can stretch due to the tightening process when fitting the head. You can check the head with a true straight edge but I don't think it's something I'd rely on if it was me checking it plus there's the possibility of it being cracked.
There's a place by the villa ground but I only know how to get to it, not names or roads, sorry!
Chris W

West Midlands Region GLASS Rep
GLASS TRO Officer

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 20:13:38 »
You will need your head skimmin mate and have it pressure tested,its false accomony not to. They may only take 8 thou off but 200 heads bend like bananas,and while you are at it dont use those stupid cardboard head gaskets. A skim will cost £20,pressure test £25, 3 layer metal head gasket £30, manifold £7. I wouldn't bother with the bolts unless its an old lump,you can use the bolts 5 times,they are about £2-3 EACH!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:19:31 »
3 holes is the fatest one, available, 

That's my understanding too.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 11:34:24 »
if you know where Hoppers is (breakers yard under the Expressway) then go over the bridge (thru the lights) stay to the right where the road forks and about 3-400 yards up the road turn left,  300 yards down there is a set of grey steel fencing with big gates on the left, first building after that is the head reconditioners i use (dunno thier name or the road name but i've had loads of stuff done by them with no problems including hone and rings)  they can test, check and refurbish your head  if required ....

they'll probably be able to advise on the replacement gasket required or you may have to refer to your manual if piston protusion needs measuring, i've always taken thier advice with no problems
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 13:13:43 »
just done this job on my 300tdi and long discussion about the head gasket.s  yeah the no holes is the thickest.  I had a 3 hole 1.5 and it now has a 1.6 no hole gasket on it . its running  no issues with that side of it.   

I heard both sides of the story and decided i will go to the thicker gasket as i dont want the valve hitting etc.   
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 17:36:11 »
Well dont know what planet hes on but 3 holes is the thickest,haynes says so and so does landrover (concerning 200),so cant see why 300 are different! Considering this subject is about 200s its best not to cause confusion!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 17:59:13 »
On the 300 they go 1, 2, 3 and no holes.  It says so in  my manual.
I don't have a manual for the 200 and I'm not sure there is the same choice.

Skimming the head makes very little difference to combustion chamber size and none to piton to head clearence, though IIRC there is a dimension for the face of the valves to be below the face of the head, which is the onbly reason i can imagine people fit the wrong gasket for.

Using a thicker gasket lowers the CR and lowers efficiency, a worn engine may even struggle to start.

Then again, my LR manual also says you shouldn't ever skim a TDi head (300 manual remember) but I've done it succesfully, as have countless others.

If you bother to measure piston projection you'll prpbably find and engine that would be fine with a 2 hole gakset exept for one piston (or one side of one piston I found last time).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 18:55:35 »
On the 300 they go 1, 2, 3 and no holes.  It says so in  my manual.
I don't have a manual for the 200 and I'm not sure there is the same choice.

My version of the (genuine L/Rover) 200Tdi engine overhaul manual is word-for-word the same as the 300Tdi manual. 4 thicknesses of gasket, no-holes is the thickest, thickness determined by piston protrusion above block surface. Head skimming is not recommended.
Regards

Steve G

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 20:30:56 »
i didnt find the haynes book of lies much use to be fair - lol

yeah i was worried about head gasket size and thought some posts would come out of my mention.
as for the car its running sweat power wise , i will keep an eye on the mpg see if that has changed much .

i had 4 peoples view on this and when the 5th came along with use a thicker one i went that route.  might not be the same for others.
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 21:25:50 »

The head is back on now and evrything is fine. I had a exprienced friend helping me with it and he asured me it did not need a skim and evryone I showed it to
agreed. I cheked it with a enginers rule just to be on the safe side and it looked fine just gave it a good clean up useing wet and dry and plenty of wd40 and same with the block got both surfaces shiney. as there was no need for a skim I got exactly the same gasket. wether this lasts or not only time will tell I guess. Beleve it or not I quite enjoyed doing this, it gave me chance to see inside the engine and clean all the injectors and heater plugs and all the grime from the top of the heads. it was amazing to here it start 1st time becase I realy did think that engine had had it. I think the only thing we forgot to do was replace the coper compresion washers on the botem of the injecters and one was back firing a little. sorted that out today. I have changed the thermostat just to be on the safe side and have got an oil fillter on standby to change in the next few days.

thanks alot guys

stretchy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 00:24:16 »
Well done mate, cylinder heads can be a daunting prospect at the best of times  :D

Regards

Steve G

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal