AuthorTopic: Loud whine  (Read 767 times)

Offline Axetamer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Loud whine
« on: August 15, 2009, 22:25:02 »
Went out in my 90 tonight after some "surgery" and still have got a very loud whining noise which sounds like a supercharger, it only happens under acceleration and virtually disappears when lifting off. Its so loud that people look round to see whats coming down the road!!!!, I put a recon diff in today thinking it may be the diff but the whining I have had for a few weeks  is still there, any ideas, I've replaced the UJ's on both props recently..I'm lost for ideas. It happens in all gears and in high and low ranges
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Mark_Solesbury

Attack Member
Re: Loud whine
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:47:12 »
I would have said Diff....

Other one ok?
Mark

1996 300tdi 90
External/Internal Cage
Maxi Drive Locking Diffs
Snorkel
AliSport Intercooler

Northants4x4.com Admin - Northants4x4 Response Trustee

Offline Disco-andy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:20:36 »
are all the air / turbo pipes ok?  dose the sound change with engine speed/ road speed/ clutch in / under braking/ when the turbo kicks in.

Offline Axetamer

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 17:05:14 »
Correct Mark, I put in a so called recon diff and on looking underneath this morning the was diff oil everywhere, the bloke who reconn'ed it, obviously had a bad day or was clueless, the pineon could be moved in and out by about 1/4 inch and up and down the same amount wrecking the seal and spewing oil everywhere. That'll teach me to check everything before fitting

I was forced to recon my old diff, which I was going to do at my leisure, instead of going out to play today, I'm now back up and running with just the noise of special tracks to listen to....silence is golden

On having a quick look at this so called recon unit I noticed the spacers were missing behind the drive flange so the bearing wasn't at the correct preload....I've just reinforced to myself why I prefer to do all my maintenance myself. Trust nobody!!

On the upside I now have a partly reconned spare 12 spline diff as a spare in my garage

I won't say exactly where the recon unit was from except its linked to a norhamptonshire pay and play site...you know who you are cowboy...
Where words fail...Music speaks

Axetamer

Offline Mark_Solesbury

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 19:24:54 »
At least its all sorted.

Northamptonshire... Im in Rushden, Northants... Does it begin with R and have a race track there?
Mark

1996 300tdi 90
External/Internal Cage
Maxi Drive Locking Diffs
Snorkel
AliSport Intercooler

Northants4x4.com Admin - Northants4x4 Response Trustee

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal