AuthorTopic: How can fitting a new swivel housing cause so much problem  (Read 809 times)

Offline zulublue

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi, as you can see from above I have had a frustrated day to say the least, I wont bore you with all the detail but I decided to renew the swivel the seals, bearings and disks.

This is a Disco 1 axle on the front of my 90 so, mods please move if you feel necessary.

The fun started when I put the stub axle back on, it caused the swivel to seize solid, I undid the bolts a little and all was fine, I tried and tried for hours to get it to work I checked part numbers on microcat and all was as it should be, I removed the swivel again!!!!! sat it by the old one and could not really see any difference.
The only thing I could do to fix this problem was to skim 2mm off the bush/ shim that sits between the back of the CV and a flange on the inner halfshaft (please excuse terminology).

So I am now left guessing what went wrong, was it a manufacturing problem on the swivel (yes it is a britpart one) this is the only logical thing I could and still can think of, or have I made a silly error? Can you advise if my solution to the problem will cause any issues?

Mark.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 21:31:34 by zulublue »

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
Re: How can fitting a new swivel housing cause so much problem
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 21:14:20 »
Same happened to me, but instead of seizing solid  I just had limited movement. once filled with one shot, pulling using the thread in the end and alot of brut force, seemed to relocate and got full travel
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 23:13:43 »
Same here except I had dropped the bottom bearing and someone suggested I may have got some dirt in it. Took it out and cleaned it and popped it back in and there appears to be no problems now. Better not be, off to spain france and andorra on thursday.
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline tack43

Attack Member
    • Worcs, Redditch
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 20:57:08 »
It's the halfshaft pushed in too far! Once the stub axle is on, screw a bolt into the halfshaft, fix a pair of grips and pull the shaft. It may also need a bit of a wobble so the CV joint locates into the stub axle bearing. You should now have full lock. I found this out the hard way. Twice!  :oops:

Hope this helps

Rich
Rich

1985 90 300TDI "Defender" SOLD.
1990 RRC 3.9 Vogue LPG
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "The spare parts box!" Broken for spares
1993 RRC Off-roader. No engine. Yet!
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "Tempory off-roader" Failed MOT - More spare parts
1992 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "New tempory off-roader" SOLD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal