AuthorTopic: Anyone got a Peugeot 406 lx Auto?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Mutz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
  • Referrals: 0
Anyone got a Peugeot 406 lx Auto?
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:02:09 »
Just bought one and there is a couple of things i need to know; mines the estate version 97/98.

1) there is a switch to the passenger side of the gear stick with a snow flake one end and a "s" at the other; doesnt put a light on,on the dash and no idea what its for.

2)  how does the cruise control work as never had it before; i know what its for just dont know how to set it.

3) is there any particular problems to watch for on these, apart from they are French?

Ive already been ribbed about buying it, but it was bought for my dogs, as GSD can no longer manage to get in and out of a 4x4.

Actually a nice car to drive :oops:
1995 300tdi 90 rebuilt and on the road (but still a project)
1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 Auto (failed its MOT and for sale if you want it)

"I Havn't got a Bad Attitude; you just can't handle my personality"

Offline Suvvey

Attack Member
Re: Anyone got a Peugeot 406 lx Auto?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:07:44 »

Ive already been ribbed about buying it

:angel: :-'

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
-- Winston Churchill--

'93 Defender 110 County

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:48:59 »
You also ribbed me when i bought my LAND ROVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Then what did you buy?????????????

Not sure they do a lwb 406 estate :dance:

Offline Suvvey

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 15:11:39 »
OK! You got me! I'm now trawling Auto Trader for a 406 :oops:

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
-- Winston Churchill--

'93 Defender 110 County

Offline ben-dent

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 18:08:32 »
Just bought one and there is a couple of things i need to know; mines the estate version 97/98.

1) there is a switch to the passenger side of the gear stick with a snow flake one end and a "s" at the other; doesnt put a light on,on the dash and no idea what its for.

2)  how does the cruise control work as never had it before; i know what its for just dont know how to set it.

3) is there any particular problems to watch for on these, apart from they are French?

Ive already been ribbed about buying it, but it was bought for my dogs, as GSD can no longer manage to get in and out of a 4x4.

They are brilliant cars

1) the switch it a snow/Ice switch, for driving in snow or ice obbviously ;)

2) are there a set of buttons on the steering wheel or a lever on the steering column?? either way there is a set one will switch the Cruise on, one will set the speed (may have a + / - aswell as the set button) , and one will reset it after the clutch or brake are operated or switch it off after you have finished.

you will need to play with it for a while and get to used to it

3) what engine is in it?? get the cambelt and waterpump changed ASAP, fuses and Fuel pumps are usually commn on the Diesels but the Petrols are usually OK
Ben Haynes

1984(B) Rangie Vouge V8) (DENT)
1986(D) Rangie Vouge CCV Trialer

Offline Mutz

Attack Member
  • Norwich, Norfolk.
    • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 21:50:16 »
Thanks Ben, cruise is on stalk on coloumn.
So the switch is a traction control?
Its a 2ltr petrol 4 speed auto lx estate.

If S is snow

and ice symbol is ice

how do you switch it off?

and should there be a light on the dash?

I am trying to get an owners manual, as there seems to be several switchs that dont appear to do anything.

Cant drive it about till i get it taxed, hopefully by the weekend.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:45:48 »

You'll probably find that the ice snowflake it back lit, so it's the button that lights up not the dash. It unlocks the torque convertor for longer and makes you pull off in 2nd gear, a combination of abs, traction and ice mode on a gearbox are brilliant in snow, just floor it and let the car worry about where to put the power and how to stop. The 's' is sports mode, it will hang back on the gearchange till about 6K and lock the torque convertor off. You'll know if your in sports over normal. I'd have thought that there would be a light on the dash for that.

Cruise won't engage until your doing over 35 - 40 miles per hour. Press the button to engage, then press the + / - to set the speed. Touch the brakes to disengage, or press the cruise button again. Well that's how it is on most cars.

As said, get a cam belt change done now unless you have a recipt for it being done in the last couple of years (60K or 6 years normally which ever is first). It's french so the engine will be in upside down ;)  probably a strange and wonderful handbrake arrangement too.

Oh I don't own a peugeot - the stuff above is pretty much generic.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline winchman

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:36:51 »
If its a 1.9 turbo diesel, then as long as you change the oil, fuel filter and cam belts, the only way to stop it is hit it with a hammer.
The guy who looks after mine has a few Taxis that have well over 300,000 on them and still going strong.
If its the HDI diesel, make sure its serviced regularlyand properly and it will be as good as the above, but a bit faster
If its petrol well only had one of these and it did 160K and was still running fine when I sold it.
I think they are one of the best value for money family cars around, Mines a 7 seater estate, air con, no rust, every thing works, I paid £700 1 year and 20,000 miles ago.
Its had a cam belt and thermostat as a precaution, but it did need a £20 set of heater plugs last week.
I love them, because I am tight but like nice roomy comfey cars that give good MPG, but never spend more than a grand on a car
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal