AuthorTopic: Too small a sentence :(  (Read 911 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Too small a sentence :(
« on: July 21, 2009, 18:46:36 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8160753.stm

6 months or £20,000 fine is too small a punishment for anyone who neglects an animal like that :(

I dread to think the suffering those poor dogs went through - i know i have suffered enough in the heat with the windows down on a hot day.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
Re: Too small a sentence :(
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 18:53:48 »
yea totally agree dude should get a much bigger punishment for animal cruelty  [-X
200tdi disco aka "bertie" ;)

Offline DoubleTop

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 18:58:30 »
OK, neck out time.

I wonder if sometimes people get too attached to an animal.  Of course the true events may take some time to surface, but people have got less of a sentence for killing humans.  In my view, there's something very wrong with that.

At the end of it all, it's a dog, a pet, a worker to the master.  Suffering isn't nice at all to any resident of the Earth, but there are many more people with much more worthwhile causes for me to even blink an eye at this.  I mean this in the nicest way, but if you're going to jump on a soapbox, jump on one with some merit.

DT.
Currently playing Space Pioneers
on transfer from bootcamp, if this link is used my account is credited with 25 premium points

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 19:37:03 »
Sounds like he/she was more stupid than anything else,

Yes Double top, we do get attatched to our pets and it is wrong to willfully, or through stupidity neglect them, they are relying totally on us as their pack leader to look after them, feed them walk them, take them to the vets etc. that is the responsibility as a dog owner...

As for 'sticking your neck out.... do it.... if that is your opinion ... voice it  ;)

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 20:57:33 »
It's a valild point I suppose, that the sentace for killing a human shouldn't be more severe too.  Like Steve says though, this sort of neglect of an animal is a betrayal of it's trust.  If you'd been in the car you could have got out.

That said, I was at an interview where they left the candidates in a room that was 28 degrees :-.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 00:24:16 »
What I suspect happened with this case is that a certain amount of stupidity crept in. It must be bourne in mind that these were his working dogs. He has trained to use them, and as a Police officer, should know better.
However, and this will be the bit that will probably cause anger, is that becasue of his job and 'status' he will be given a much harsher sentence than average, if found guilty.
I have dealt with numerous animal cruelty cases over the years, and I never cease to be amazed at what I see as leniency in the sentences that are handed down, if at all.
I have always found wilfull or reckless neglect of or cruelty to kids and animals the most difficult to deal with, as they are unable to understand what is happening.
If adults want to go and harm themselves or others, then they should be able to comprehend it.
Sorry if that puts a cat amongst the pigeons, but that is my view of it.

Offline steve howes

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:00 »
i worked search dogs for years and it amazes me how this guy could be so stupid , your dogs are your best friends, your protectors, i think he is a bl***dy idiot and deserves to have the full weight of the law come down on him . i hope he loses his job and banned from keeping pets for life . im sitting here looking at my old dog and wonder how id feel if i caused him as much suffering as those poor dogs went through
6 months or £20000 is far too soft a sentence  :twisted:
if your not behind our troops please feel free to stand in front of them !

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 13:59:22 »
When you hear of some of the crimes commited by the police, its funny how the biggest outrage is the death of some police dogs.

Hows that G8 protest copper (no number on etc etc) doing?
Plus the ones who have roughed up numerous other hippies at protests like the power plant one.
JC Menzes
Arresting and intimidating photographers, including school kids
Fitting up the local loony despite evidence to the contrary

But if some dogs die then its time to act, course middle england loves dogs but those in the list above probably deserved it, no smoke without fire etc etc.
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 14:56:06 »
What I suspect happened with this case is that a certain amount of stupidity crept in. It must be bourne in mind that these were his working dogs. He has trained to use them, and as a Police officer, should know better.
However, and this will be the bit that will probably cause anger, is that becasue of his job and 'status' he will be given a much harsher sentence than average, if found guilty.
I have dealt with numerous animal cruelty cases over the years, and I never cease to be amazed at what I see as leniency in the sentences that are handed down, if at all.
I have always found wilfull or reckless neglect of or cruelty to kids and animals the most difficult to deal with, as they are unable to understand what is happening.
If adults want to go and harm themselves or others, then they should be able to comprehend it.
Sorry if that puts a cat amongst the pigeons, but that is my view of it.

But its like you said there, he has trained to use them, so therefore should know better and as such should pay a high price for the crime.

However, i personally feel that anyone, regardless of who they are should have a very stiff punishment for that kind of neglect.  The fact he was trained to look after them correctly is what makes the matter worse.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 20:11:15 »
Yoshi, there are points I will agree with on this, but

There are certain aspects that interest me about this incident.
Every Plod dog vehicle I've seen are all fitted with air con units. Every dog vehicle that I've seen at a stand still for a long period of time has either had the the air con unit running at full power or the tail gate has been open.
That is why I find it odd that a trained dog handler leaves his dogs in a vehicle that is closed up.

I think the best thing to do is wait for a trial and see what comes out a result of that.

Offline landybabe

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 21:43:21 »
I see that the article states that they were in a "private vehicle".
I assume this means that they were not in an air conditioned dog unit vehicle ??

Cruelty cases involving animals is often more emotive probably due to the fact that they are reliant on the people looking after them and have no voice by which to be heard when things go wrong.
I do think that all cases should be looked at individually and intent should be taken into consideration.
I'm sure this policeman didn't intend to cause any distress but his job and training should have made him aware of the consequences of his actions.
He will surely punish himself for a long time to come regardless of the action taken against him.

Angie

OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER BUT STILL YOUNG ENOUGH NOT TO CARE!!....

Offline bastynitch

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 22:34:57 »
I see that the article states that they were in a "private vehicle".
I assume this means that they were not in an air conditioned dog unit vehicle ??

Cruelty cases involving animals is often more emotive probably due to the fact that they are reliant on the people looking after them and have no voice by which to be heard when things go wrong.
I do think that all cases should be looked at individually and intent should be taken into consideration.
I'm sure this policeman didn't intend to cause any distress but his job and training should have made him aware of the consequences of his actions.
He will surely punish himself for a long time to come regardless of the action taken against him.

I agree   i would imagine he will punish himself for a very long time emotionally --worse than any prison sentence  dont you think !

I have a two door rangie currently being bobbererd and soon to be pink
also diesel frontera

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal