Events, Gatherings, Out & About > Members' Travels

Just got back from Norway (Orig: Anyone going to Norway??)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Whatmot:

--- Quote from: V8MoneyPit on July 09, 2009, 18:11:19 ---
--- Quote from: simondarby on July 07, 2009, 09:46:47 ---You can get a ferry from Harwich to Denmark and drive the rest, or ferry to France and drive.  Either way, it's a very long drive that way...
--- End quote ---

When we went back in 1988 (in a 1965 MG Midget), they ran a route from Harwich to Hirtshals in Denmark, then on to Oslo. I take it this route is no longer?

Fabulous country though. I really want to go again, but it's unlikely to be next year. We stayed in a log cabin on the shores of Sognefjord. A good base for some spectacular scenery. You can't be in a rush anywhere on the west coast though. Virtually everywhere you go involves a ferry crossing!

--- End quote ---

Steve, that ferry route is the one I was planning on doing (if its still running). Agreed, it looks like an absolutely stunning country!

--- Quote from: MuddyDiscoveryJay on August 21, 2009, 15:54:39 ---Afternoon all, I too have been looking into the arctic circle and Atlas overland take a group there. http://www.atlasoverland.com/tour_arcticcircle.php    Try the link and see what luck you get. Im looking to go not next year but the year after and then take 2 months to head down to Italy and then home. I hope to go with Atlas to the pyrnees next year though. Hope I have helped. Good luck.

MDJ

--- End quote ---

I've look an Atlas's site but it doesnt really interest me. If you are looking to do the Pyrenees, I can highly recommend Paul @ OneLife Adventure. He might not be the cheapest, but he runs smaller groups and I would say his service and hospitality are second to none. You wont regret paying out the extra money.

kevinf:
hi tom

i second every thing you said about paul,just come back from the august Pyrenees trip,truly awesome

just now trying to figure out where we can go next  that fits in with school holidays!

iceland,norway  Morocco all look good,  i understand Paul's looking into doing a flydrive to iceland next year using arctic trucks vehicles (of top gear fame) but it wont be cheap !

one can but dream kevin

Discotel:
I am thinking of going next year if I can sort the time of work...I really want to see the northern lights as well next year....Trying to get a decent Disco to go with....

Terry

Whatmot:

--- Quote from: kevinf on September 03, 2009, 12:31:32 ---hi tom

i second every thing you said about paul,just come back from the august Pyrenees trip,truly awesome

just now trying to figure out where we can go next  that fits in with school holidays!

iceland,norway  Morocco all look good,  i understand Paul's looking into doing a flydrive to iceland next year using arctic trucks vehicles (of top gear fame) but it wont be cheap !

one can but dream kevin

--- End quote ---

Kevin, a fly drive to iceland would be truly awesome,  but yeah, just a tad expensive!! Morocco is definitely on my list of places to go

--- Quote from: Discotel on December 02, 2009, 18:11:52 ---I am thinking of going next year if I can sort the time of work...I really want to see the northern lights as well next year....Trying to get a decent Disco to go with....

Terry

--- End quote ---

Terry, good to hear you might be interested in coming. I was planning on going June time to see the midnight sun, but I think I would rather see the nothern lights, only problem is, don't you have to go during the winter months in order to see the full spectacle??

Btw, this was going to be a rough route for the trip. I was planning on weaving in and out of the western coast as I headed north and then possibly stay in Nordkapp for a couple of days. I wasn't really fussed about seeing Sweden, well apart from Stockholm as that is supposed to be a lovely city. The time given by Google in roughly 4 days (excluding ferry times), but if you break up that into 6-7 hour days thats about 2 weeks; I was planning on taking 3 weeks off work so that I could 'take things easy' so to speak. Any thoughts on the route and what to do are much appreciated

Muddyblue:
We did a similar route to your planned trip a couple of years ago and your timing of 3 weeks sounds about right,(longer is always better !) although we started in Bergen and headed North to Nordkaap which took a steady 9 days, including a ferry from Bodo to the Lofoten Islands, then turned South roughly following your route and including Rovaniemi in Finland. I dont think you'll need a couple of days at Nordkaap, there's not much there. We also stuck closer to the West Coast of Norway and drove the "Atlantic highway" from Molde to Kristiansund. Mainly camping but with a couple of hotels and log cabins for a change, we had no problems finding sites or getting ferries in July.
Hope you have a fantastic time, we did, and take every opportunity that comes your way. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version