AuthorTopic: Bad Luck week ?  (Read 689 times)

Offline CaptainColourful

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Bad Luck week ?
« on: June 23, 2009, 23:54:44 »
My Disco developed a fuel leak on the way home from hols on Saturday. I had stopped for a leak of my own at the services when I noticed the puddle underneath.
The RAC ended up recovering us home. My local garage looked at it on monday and found that the fuel pipe from the pump had been chaffing on the bodywork, so hence the hole in it.
 Apparently, according to the local main dealer, it is a well known fault on the Disco2. The replacement part is out of stock,and is on back-order, with no stock expected until Sept. due to the fact that their supplier has gone out of business in the recession. Great eh ?
My garage managed to get a union made locally (by Pirtek) so disaster was avoided.....
So far so good.
Due to needing the workshop space for other jobs they left my motor alongside their own nice shiny cars on the sales forecourt.... ready for the workshop to work on this morning.
At 8am they discovered that some scroat had nicked my headlights overnight... the nice facelift ones that actually work ! The ones that owners of older discos love to retro- fit .
It seems that a local thief has restarted his handywork after serving time for the same offence.
Removal is easy... simply using some sort of claw to pull them out and snap off the top bracket without even needing to open the bonnet....  Obviously my garage has had to fork out for a new set of lights... total approx £480.
Hopefully I will get the car back tomorrow.

I am wondering if headlight guards would help but haven't seen any on fleabay to fit... has anyone any ideas if they are available ?
TD5 ... Disco Classic Country (Oz import)

What credit crunch ? I started with nothing and still have most of it left !

Offline MudRat

Attack Member
Re: Bad Luck week ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:47:20 »
I have a set on the disco 2 i just sold, they are plastic, and will provide an extra 10 seconds of security, so prob not worth the effort.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:50:09 »
Get one of those free window repair guys to etch you reg number on them (I think your insurance will pay), make it obvious and then perhaps they won't get nicked as it will be damn obvious to any potential buyer and the police.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 16:47:56 »
Maybe a couple of modified airbag systems that spray indelible pink dye over anyone attempting to steal the headlights?  :lol:

The weird part is that if early TD5s are being upgraded then what are they doing with their old headlights? They seem to be £35 each on ebay, while I'd quite like a set for my 300 TDI (I understand they're a straight swap?) I'm not paying £70 when there's nothing wrong with my current ones!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 17:22:53 »
Sorry to hear about the theft!

Good thing is the garage are sorting it, which is good cos most people would have to fight to get that done.  They say that vehicles left with them are left at owners risk.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal