AuthorTopic: Air springs getting hard??  (Read 962 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Air springs getting hard??
« on: June 03, 2009, 21:55:12 »
I have just put a southdown detachable tow hitch and tank guard on my Range Rover and ever since have found that the suspension seems to have gone hard..... By this I mean every time I go over a bump or pot hole it does'nt absobe the shocks but sort of crashes over them transmiting loads of vibration to the vehicle and dash. It may be completely unrelated to fitting the tow hitch. It's kind of similar to when you are in high on the Air suspension and things get a little less comfortable due to the increase pressure in the springs. Can the rubber in the air springs cause this due to them getting old and less supple?

What do you think?

Thanks all

Jonny

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Air springs getting hard??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 19:07:25 »
Probably got something to do witht he extra 36kg of metal you just bolted right out the back of the car Johhny, the Southdown is a heavy bit of kit so the pressure in the air springs will be higher to keep the ride height the same.  Either that or something you have done has bypassed the insulating rubbers on the body mounts.

As an aside you should not be getting a harder ride in high profile unless the ride height has been lifted and the shocks are reaching the end of their travel, if anything it should get softer in high.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 00:41:59 »
Right on all accounts RRB, I have lifted the ride hight on high by quite a bit so I expected the ride to be alot harder and have less articulation. And I see where you are coming from with the extra weight of the guard but I didn't experience this feeling when heavily loaded up with camping and holiday gear?

which body mounts could have been affected?

Could the shocks be causing the problems? getting old stiffing up a bit?

thanks for the advice....

Jonny

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:19:37 »
Are you sure the shocks aren't bottoming out?
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:33:25 »
I dont think they are as it happens over relatively small bumps?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 23:19:11 »
If you have lifted the ride height then the shocks will be over extending, try lowering it back to the factory setting.

I'd look at the condition of the rear crossmemeber inside the rear isolation bushes, body corrosion will make any crashing sound worse oddly enough, also check the condition of the rear floor above the under-floor crossmembers.  Yours will have the chassis brackets welded on (the earlier ones were bolted and adjustable), make sure they are still hard up against the crossmember or the floor will not be supported.

If you've got loads of camping gear I'd strongly suggest you check your axle loading, the LSE can weigh slightly more than the 100 inch using the same componenets so you have a slight margin of error but be careful you don't go too far.

The EAS is definitely best using the factory settings, if it gets stuck in High it will raise up to the top of the shock, evening out ground pressurer to restore grip if you are cross-axled, but the ride quality is shocking (pardon the pun).

Unless you fit longer air bags that is ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 21:46:24 »
It was the shocks/dampers, I have just fitted some bilsteines and it has sorted it out, I think the rubbers were on the way out on the shocks I had.... but a good excuses to get some new bilsteines  :D

thanks all for your help

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal