AuthorTopic: Joint Press Release by TRF, GLASS and CRAG regarding "Green Lane Cowboys"  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Joint press release by the Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF), the Green Lane Association (GLASS) and the Countryside Recreational Access Group (CRAG).

TRAIL RIDERS AND 4X4 DRIVERS UNITED AGAINST ‘GREEN LANE COWBOYS’

A recent press release from the Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF) concerning the posting of video clips showing allegedly inappropriate vehicular use of rights of way has been taken by some to be an attack by the TRF on the (legal) use of 4x4 vehicles on Byways.

This is not the case. In issuing the release the TRF was supported by the Green Lane Association (GLASS) and the Countryside Recreational Access Group (CRAG), both of whom share the TRFs concerns over abuse of rights of way by irresponsible individuals and informal groups who choose not to operate under the codes of conduct published by GLASS, the TRF or CRAG.

The TRF, GLASS and CRAG maintain a shared position: the support of responsible use of rights of way by all. Their members are anxious to stamp out the activities of the irresponsible minority who actively set out to damage rights of way and their surroundings irrespective of whether they are on two feet, four legs, or two or four wheels.  GLASS, CRAG and the TRF are actively co-operating with police and local authorities at various hot-spots throughout England and Wales so that offenders can be identified and dealt with.

Members of all three groups are also monitoring YouTube and similar sites, and will offer the authorities what help they can in identifying the idiot minority who post their abusive activities on-line.

The TRF, GLASS and CRAG further urge responsible users to ‘think before they post’. Footage of activities including ‘off-road experiences’, ‘fun days’ and rallies which take place on private land with the owners’ permission should always be clearly identified as such. Those who wish to curtail motorised recreational in the countryside are not above using material taken out of context to support their wrongful assertions regarding damage to rights of way, and the non-sustainability of motor vehicle use in the countryside.

The TRF, GLASS and CRAG further urge responsible users to portray our pastime in a positive light in their photographs and videos, to help promote the benefits of responsible green laning.

Press Release ends

Richard Simpson                    Tony Ferrari                                Paul Humphreys
National PRO                           Press Officer                              Press Officer
Trail Riders Fellowship         Green Lane Association          Countryside Recreational
(TRF)                                         (GLASS)                                       Access Group (CRAG)
www.trf.org.uk                           www.glass-uk.org                     www.crag-uk.org

Notes to editors

The Trail Riders Federation, the Green Lane Association and CRAG are national bodies that represent motorised users of unsurfaced public roads, often referred to as “Green Lanes”. They are all committed to the protection, maintenance and enjoyment of green lanes and actively promote responsible riding and driving in the countryside and campaign against irresponsible use.

Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline sd

Attack Member
i stumbled upon this through a google search , i am glad i did.
This is not just trail riders and 4x4 drivers trying to protect and upkeep the conservation of these ancient roads. Its also land owners , estate workers and any one else who has an interest in preserving our country's heritage. I work in land maintenance in the kent area. I have no interest in green laning my self however i do not think that the sport , if you can call it that , should be stopped altogether because of a few of these so called cowboys. i prefer to call them vandals or criminals.
So far a few of us in the kent area have collected hundreds of photos and videos , we also have copies of entire threads containing evidence from various forums where these criminals operate from. This kind of behaviour will be stamped out and we will be providing the appropriate authorities with the evidence we have been gathering with a view to prosecution under section 59 of the road traffic act. please show some respect when driving green lanes and for the surrounding countryside, they do not belong to you nor are they there to provide you with 'sport'.
Its  a shame but it seems to be the respectful 4x4 green laning community that is falling into the minority while these criminals continue to destroy lanes and private property without thought given to any consequences of their actions , i do hope this is not the case. 

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
I think the responsible ones are still very much the majority, but they don't get mentioned. If the local press hear of one idiot wrecking a lane then that will be reported in huge type, while the five who went through the day before and behaved themselves won't appear.

As for making very sure that you caption footage from private sites (to which you have been granted access) as such, that is indeed very important. One of our local rags is notorious for having printed a photo of a pay and play, claiming that it was damage done to a green lane. Even if a retraction was printed, it would have been in tiny print on page umpteen as opposed to the screaming headlines of the original allegation...
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal