AuthorTopic: 1:222 Transfer Box  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Mark_Solesbury

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
1:222 Transfer Box
« on: May 30, 2009, 21:56:10 »
Anyone fitted one to a 90?

Thoughts over a 1:410

Also, can someone confirm that the low range is the same in both?
Mark

1996 300tdi 90
External/Internal Cage
Maxi Drive Locking Diffs
Snorkel
AliSport Intercooler

Northants4x4.com Admin - Northants4x4 Response Trustee

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: 1:222 Transfer Box
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 22:58:17 »
Anyone fitted one to a 90?

Thoughts over a 1:410

Also, can someone confirm that the low range is the same in both?

All stock LT 230"s have a low ratio of 3.321
If your shopping for a box and only have the serial to identify it the to *help* make sure you getting the wanted hi box ratio then my document here has a list of serial/ratio:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dhfmtstj_0ghdpj7jh&hl=en

Plenty of peeps have swapped boxes from 1.410 to 1.222, for one.. member burgerman went whole hog and got an ashcrofts box with that ratio on his mrs' td5 90.
I have a 1.222 box here to fit one day...maybe. I go laning with someone else with that ratio and it seems they struggle to keep a comfortable pace whilst in high box on reasonable fast gravel tracks in 3rd and 4th gears, I pick up faster and leave them in dust with the standard defender box. For highway use they'd blow my top speed and have a smoother rev level though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 23:12:27 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline billy badger

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 20:45:33 »
I fitted one to my 200Tdi 90 recently. Low ratio is same as defender, high ratio approximately 15% higher. It drives fine on road, just need to change up about 10 mph higher in each gear, climbs long hills on motorway in top no problem.

Offline Mark_Solesbury

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 21:32:06 »
Thanks

How long / bigga job was it to change over?

Mark

1996 300tdi 90
External/Internal Cage
Maxi Drive Locking Diffs
Snorkel
AliSport Intercooler

Northants4x4.com Admin - Northants4x4 Response Trustee

Offline billy badger

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 20:11:28 »
I did mine by removing the centre seat and panel below,  remove transmission tunnel cover, disconnect propshafts, handbrake cable, speedo cable, wiring to reverse light switch & diff lock warning light. Hi-low selector & diff lock linkage can be reached but are a bit fiddly, remove 2 breather connections. I used an engine crane through the passenger door to take the weight before removing bolts to main gearbox (2 nuts & 4 bolts I think). Offside gearbox  mounting needs removing. Transfer box can then be slid back off splined input shaft, lowered and dragged out from below. It is not only very heavy, but also an awkward shape to handle. Removal and replacement with new box took around 5 hours with help from a mate.
When you fit the new box fit the speedo drive gear from your original box and speedo will then read correctly.

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 20:17:34 »
Shouldnt take more than a couple of hours.
I didnt worry about the engine crane, just unbolt it and catch it on your chest using your arms to slow its fall.
Its a little akward but not overly so, as yours is lifted you will be fine for room underneath.
just make sure you DONT pinch the seal when you put the box back or you will have to take it off again after a few hundred miles because of the leak  :twisted:
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline graham2306

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 23:45:55 »

I didnt worry about the engine crane, just unbolt it and catch it on your chest using your arms to slow its fall.

Real men drive Land Rovers.  Health and safety is for wimps.
It's not a real car unless it's over 30 years old!
Classic cars are the ones who's owners wave to each other. I just bought a pretend car! F plate 90!

N.Oxon GLASS Rep

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 17:24:54 »
lol, very true  :twisted: :lol:
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 21:13:41 »
Its a little akward but not overly so, as yours is lifted you will be fine for room underneath.
just make sure you DONT pinch the seal when you put the box back or you will have to take it off again after a few hundred miles because of the leak  :twisted:

drop it onto your chest?????are you pi**ed??.......anyone that tries this will most definately end up in A&E with broken ribs .... and yes you do need a crane or some thing similar....and no it doesnt take "a couple of hours"unless you have a team of trained fitters and you are in a fully equipped workshop......this thing must weigh about 75kg ........"catch it on your chest using your arms" :lol: :lol: :lol:it will rip your arms from the socket .......(what a set of total planks) :lol:me and billy badger did this and we dont mess about and it must have taken us 5 hours start to finish and we had a garage with a pit and a hydraulic crane!!!!.
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline Hangover

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 22:11:13 »
just make sure you DONT pinch the seal when you put the box back or you will have to take it off again after a few hundred miles because of the leak  :twisted:

Use your arms to slow it's fall,like were they broken afterwards? Catch it on your chest,you mistaking it with a football :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 22:14:08 by Hangover »

Offline Disco 90 george

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 09:41:15 »
I did the same, seat box out. Have a look at this link it may help. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6024 look a lot easyer !
If it ain't broken................................break it !

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 16:45:11 »

drop it onto your chest?????are you pi**ed??.......anyone that tries this will most definately end up in A&E with broken ribs .... and yes you do need a crane or some thing similar....and no it doesnt take "a couple of hours"unless you have a team of trained fitters and you are in a fully equipped workshop......this thing must weigh about 75kg ........"catch it on your chest using your arms" :lol: :lol: :lol:it will rip your arms from the socket .......(what a set of total planks) :lol:me and billy badger did this and we dont mess about and it must have taken us 5 hours start to finish and we had a garage with a pit and a hydraulic crane!!!!.

im sorry, but what a load of rubbbish, are you a twig or something  :roll: :roll:, im by no means a big build (ask clbarclay) but ive had a gearbox and transfer box out of 90 my in 2 hours on my own, as the clutch fork went, and i needed it the next day!!
people go over the top removing things when they dont need to.
ive never removed the trans tunnel ect ect
ive recently removed my old 200tdi set-up and done a td5 transplant, it took me 8 hours to get the old engine out, and new in, and all bolted down, gearbox ect ect
it was then running a few days later.

as for the input seal on the lt230, yes there a pain, but your supposed to put abit of rtv around it just incase  ;)

Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 19:40:23 »
Thanks dan, someone who agrees with me. When something needs to be done, just get on and do it.

drop it onto your chest?????are you pi**ed??.......anyone that tries this will most definately end up in A&E with broken ribs .... and yes you do need a crane or some thing similar....and no it doesnt take "a couple of hours"unless you have a team of trained fitters and you are in a fully equipped workshop......this thing must weigh about 75kg ........"catch it on your chest using your arms"   :lol:it will rip your arms from the socket .......(what a set of total planks) :lol:me and billy badger did this and we dont mess about and it must have taken us 5 hours start to finish and we had a garage with a pit and a hydraulic crane!!!!.
It is no where 75Kg, dont be so bloody stupid,  i didnt end up in A&E.  Also, i have taken the gearbox out with a mate of mine and we didnt use a crane then, just used good old muscle power.

It only took me a couple of hours start to finish, if anyone doubts that it took my 2 hours then they should just get over it, some people work at faster rates than others and seeing as ive done it loads of times before i am damn good at doing it so it doesnt take ver long.

Use your arms to slow it's fall,like were they broken afterwards? Catch it on your chest,you mistaking it with a football

No they wernt broken afterwards, just a bit oily  :twisted:

Likes to eat badgers

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 09:35:12 »
no worries matt, it just annoys me when people talk a load of c***
whats more dangerous is people attempting to fit both gearbox and transfer box together, that is a big no no. i always split the box's before doing any work or changing a clutch on something.
i agree on work rates, but also, some people spanner as a living ( even though i work on boats not landys ) so that speeds the proccess up as you no what you can get away with not taking off.
i find removing the hand brake assay makes a huge difference and is only 5 mins to remove and refit
dan

http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 10:41:04 »
Yeah, makes it a lot less bulky without the handbrake off doesnt it.
I work on a farm so am always lumping big bits of metal around, taking engines apart, gearboxes off tractors t o i know what i can and cannot lift on my own.
Using tools for your living makes it so much faster as you tend to work a lot quicker.

Likes to eat badgers

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 18:36:15 »
Ha--ha you both bit you pair of planks,you take things far too seriously......but if you want to beat the world record for taking gearboxes out thats up to you,I like to take things steady and chill out a bit,thats why when me and my mate do it we do it right and dont end up knackered just so we can say"gearbox?ahh Ive changed one in twenty minutes with my hands behind my back"!!!!............pinocchio :lol:
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline Sabo

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 18:43:15 »
I've changed one a few times on my own - BUT I have an engine crane, tried it without and nearly popped myself.  For a person who has never done it before - read up on it and take your time, I also found it easier taking out the middle seat and pan and the gearbox cover, this way you can get the linkages.

Dave
Sabo

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 19:16:14 »
I've changed one a few times on my own - BUT I have an engine crane, tried it without and nearly popped myself.  For a person who has never done it before - read up on it and take your time, I also found it easier taking out the middle seat and pan and the gearbox cover, this way you can get the linkages.

Dave

I agree,seems like we are a minority on here mate,they all must have steel b****ks and arms like popeye :lol:

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 19:29:39 »
Yes, steel b******s and arms like popeye are a requirement for my job so it helps with gearbox removal lol

Likes to eat badgers

Offline Sabo

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 13:10:32 »
We'd best get onto the Spinage!
Sabo

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 19:06:46 »
Ha--ha you both bit you pair of planks,you take things far too seriously......but if you want to beat the world record for taking gearboxes out thats up to you,I like to take things steady and chill out a bit,thats why when me and my mate do it we do it right and dont end up knackered just so we can say"gearbox?ahh Ive changed one in twenty minutes with my hands behind my back"!!!!............pinocchio :lol:

lol N**
aint a clue have you, typical no it all  :roll:
and i never rush doing a job btw  ;) ;)
if i rushed a job, id never earn money

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 19:17:16 »
and yer, im bult like popeye or julk aint i :-  http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFROAD/News/2007/events/Club1/clr1p397.jpg
 :roll:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 19:23:15 »
and yer, im bult like popeye or julk aint i :-  http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFROAD/News/2007/events/Club1/clr1p397.jpg
your steel b**ls are showing in that pic though  :oops:
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 19:34:00 »
Thats why there is that much mud on his trousers, his steel b******s made him sink  ;) :lol:

Likes to eat badgers

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 21:02:52 »
 :lol: :lol:

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 21:10:30 »

go back to school you cant spell........and dont be getting too excited its just an internet forum...ha-ha

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 22:48:00 »
So has anyone got a good 1.4:1 to sell then?

I'm thinking of putting a Defender box on Blue because it has 235/85s on almost all the time now and the 10% extra gearing makes it struggle, especially when towing, to stay in top. It's also a handlfull to get out of a junction quickly.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal