AuthorTopic: Hybrid what to register as?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline adamdanshona

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hybrid what to register as?
« on: May 28, 2009, 21:29:11 »
I am going to look at a hybrid 100" ,built on a range rover chassis 90 body.200tdi engine.
The owner says he insures it as a 90 hybrid and the log book says it is a 90.
If it has been built for a while does it need a sva etc...It is currently on sorn but I would like to get it back on the road as legaly as poss.
Any info would be helpful thanks.
I have had moded cars in the past but not ones with different chassis,engine and body.

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
Re: Hybrid what to register as?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 21:33:59 »
In my opinion still needs an SVA with the current clamp down on "modified " vehicles, also VOSA might want to do a VIC inspection anyway when you try to return it to the road. !!

Personally I would go and find a decent standard 90 !!

Lots of info on her about SVA and what it requires, if it's a 90 on a RR chassis it is modified

1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline yolandie

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 21:48:44 »
my mate has built one using the range river chassis and range rover log book
Here's the code:

Offline adamdanshona

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 21:55:20 »
Personally I would go and find a decent standard 90 !!
so would I, but most decent 90 are out of my price range especialy as I want something to use and abuse. :lol:Basically it ticks all the boxs that I want to use it for.I just don`t want to fall foul of the law due to some jobsworth at the DVLA.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 21:58:04 by adamdanshona »

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:50:20 »
Unfortunately if you fall foul of VOSA they will take it off you and crush it be very careful and ask around, check all the numbers on the chassis and engine tally with the log book. If it has a VIC check and they don't tally away it will go and you lose big time.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_4022107
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022486

Have a look at those two links for a starter, I know of a guy who bought a hybrid off e.blag, tax exempt 90  :shocked: :shocked:just say he got stopped in a "vehicle check" and now no longer has it !! He lost a few thousand quid !!

Offline yellowbelly

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 08:50:53 »
The SVA has now been replaced with the IVA which is basically an "improved" SVA but covers extra areas not previously covered. It also costs just shy of £500. Your hybrid does require an IVA to put it on the road because the chassis has been modified.
Yes people do drive them on range rover or defender log books but be warned that if your log book does not accurately describe the vehicle then you will not be covered by your insurance in the event of an accident. You do not even want to contemplate the cost of payouts to third party drivers in the event of you not being insured and anyone else involved in the accident will be suing you personally.
Also if you are pulled at any time by the police and they dispute the vehicle description you could also be done.
Think long and hard before trying to get away with it. Just because others have and are doing it doesn't make it right. Also consider your feeling towards someone who has an accident injuring a member of your family and you find they are not insured. I think you will be pretty pi##ed at them.
The IVA is there for a reason and is a safety check to ensure that a vehicle has been built to acceptable safe standards. If you view it as such and read the manual which is downloadable from the VOSA website you will find that it is perfectably achievable.
Don't take the chance with an incorrectly registered vehicle. If your not prepared to get it through then i would suggest spending your money on a 90 and sit back satisfied that you are not breaking the law and are fully covered in the event of an accident.
"Sits back and awaits the barrarge of flak in return"

Offline adamdanshona

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:52:46 »
The car is still cheap enough so even with the costs of an IVA it will still come in under £1500 all in.
Am I correct in thinking that a VIC check is the first step in the process,then If an identity cannot be established then a IVA is required?
Also as this hybrid was built over five years ago.I asume all recepts for components and parts will be lost.
Does it go on a points system?
I am not trying to doge the system,It is just all the ninty`s that I have looked at,if they`re cheap, they`re rotten,or if I pay more money they`re too good to use and abuse.As I said this one ticks all the boxes,I understand that the rules have changed that is why I want as much information as possible.
Many thanks.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:23:20 by adamdanshona »

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 12:44:54 »
Just needs very careful inspection for chassis nrs, engine nr etc and that the log book and Vin plates are the same tht's what the VIC check is all about. If anything is not easily identifiable and 100% correct not renumbered etc it may be OK but as said the guy I know lost his as the "identity could not be clearly shown"

Offline suggs

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 14:06:07 »
have a look here, sounds like the same truck

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=42842
modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

Offline adamdanshona

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 16:23:21 »
Yeh it is the same truck,as I talked to the owner and it is the same story he told me imported chassis etc........
I talked to the VIC and they said if it is regestered with the dvla the it should be ok.
The present owner insures it with adraian flux as a landrover 200tdi 90 hybrid with all mods declaired,and the log book states it is a 90.
I think I will take a proper look at it as it is not too far away.
where are the chassis numbers located on a defender?

Offline tack43

Attack Member
    • Worcs, Redditch
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 20:50:27 »
There should be the original chassis no on the drivers side of the chassis around where the steering box bolts go through the chassis. If theres nothing there check for grinding marks/welding. If you can see any walk away!
There should also be a chassis plate on the brake pedal box but this is only held on with rivets and is easy to swap.

Rich
Rich

1985 90 300TDI "Defender" SOLD.
1990 RRC 3.9 Vogue LPG
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "The spare parts box!" Broken for spares
1993 RRC Off-roader. No engine. Yet!
1991 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "Tempory off-roader" Failed MOT - More spare parts
1992 RRC 3.9 Vogue SE "New tempory off-roader" SOLD

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 00:49:16 »
Agreed, the chassis carried 5 points and is the biggest single part of the car's identity If there is no porrof as to the identity of the chassis, walk away.

If the chassis is modyfied in any way, it does not carry any points.  If you can't prove it also has say the RRC axles or suspension/steering then you can't keep the identity.

If the lohbook says Defender, it's dodgy.

I agree the IVA is necessary to stop a lot of the bodge merchants and hooky tax exempt stuff going on.  What annoys me a little is it's so draconian to people who want to be legal and above board and find it too hard to go through.  If you want to cut the back end off a Disco, you should be allowed to, declare it, inspect it, get on with it.

But the rules are getting too strict for those who want to obey them without catching enough of those who break them.

Always the way.

As for the car, it's cheap for a reason :-.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal