AuthorTopic: pajero or shogun???  (Read 5715 times)

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
  • Referrals: 0
pajero or shogun???
« on: March 22, 2005, 19:55:50 »
followed two of the japanese brethren today one had shogun on it and the other had pajero, pardon my ignorance but are they the same thing as they both looked identical?
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline robbie

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 20:11:17 »
They are very similar but one is for the UK market (Shogun) and the other is an import, probably from Japan (Pajero)

Insurance companies are a bit fussy about imports sometimes s be warned and check around for insurance.

The main difference seem to be the interior and the imports have more chrome than black for things like bumpers, mirrors etc and this distinguishes them easily.

Mechanically they are identical. Some models (I think the 2.8diesel for example) were not sold in the UK.

goto http://www.pocuk.co.uk for more info/questions. It is the Pajero Owners Club UK (POCUK). Some of the guys come here too, but not all. They even run their own insurance which does cover imports.

You thinking of getting one??
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline alaric

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 21:36:00 »
Hi Mate,

Yes Pajero and Shogun are basically the same car, just rebadged for different markets - it's also sold in several countries, including the US, as the "Montero".

In the UK, the Pajeros you see have been imported from Japan. Due to stringent Japanese regulations for old cars, you can pick up Pajeros for a much lower price in Japan than a similar age model Shogun in the UK.

They tend to be a very good buy, because the Japanese treat them very well, don't commute in them and load them with all the extras when they buy them from new.

I bought my Pajero 18 months ago. It was 9 years old, but only had 49,000 miles on the clock! It's got separate front and rear climate control, limited slip rear diff, 7 seats, heated front & rear screen, electrically adjustable & folding mirrors, twin batteries, adjustable suspension damping...

A similar age Shogun would have cost 3-4000 pounds more, and been of a much lower spec. The only desirable extra that you're more likely to see on a Shogun, but not a Pajero, is a rear diff lock.

The old myths about parts being difficult to get hold of is no longer true - I've had no problems, and dealer support is improving all the time.

I have had warranty recall work done on my car since I got it - despite it being 10 years old and not bought in the UK.

And the 2.8 TD was available on the Shogun - although some models of 2.8 Pajero are tuned to produce more power.

Now you know...

Alaric.
"Act your shoe size, not your age..."

2012 Subaru Outback

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 21:49:14 »
i knew someone would know it was bugging me when i was following them as i couldnt see what the difference was
no robbie i,m not thinking of getting one i,m into the green oval too much at the mo :lol: what would i do with a car i didnt have to be under every weekend :lol:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline robbie

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 22:10:53 »
Glad that helped you then :)

what would i do with a car i didnt have to be under every weekend Laughing

maybe drive it off road.......  :wink:
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(

Offline alaric

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 22:18:07 »
I spend a bit of time under my car laughing...at the large sticks stuck into various gaps, dents in the protector plates...Oh, wait a minute that's not quite what you were thinking of is it...

Alaric.

2012 Subaru Outback

Offline Tiny Tim

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 19:14:56 »
We get all the toys that seem strictly rationed to UK Shogun buyers  :P

I just been under mine laughing at the whopping great dent in the armour (standard) surrounding my diesel tank   :shock:  8)  :lol:

3.5 Pajero Evolution & heavily modded 2.t TDi JTop mudplugger

Offline robbie

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 19:43:54 »
yeeh I cant quite understand that, they put the plates on the Jap models, yet they dont go off road often.... In the UK they dont, mind boggling!!

Offline alaric

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 23:06:39 »
Snap Tim, I've also got one of those!

Alaric.

2012 Subaru Outback

Offline Jan

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 05:08:54 »
Wudnt be without mine ~~ Jan Xx

Pajero LWB 2.8TD auto
Shogun SWB V6 manual Flying Machine  

Offline nzrover

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 07:19:22 »
Quote from: "Jan"
Wudnt be without mine ~~ Jan Xx

There's things we all wouldn't be without - for me it seems to involve a Pajero too!  :)

Offline Simon_Doc

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 00:09:56 »
Quote from: "robbie"
yeeh I cant quite understand that, they put the plates on the Jap models, yet they dont go off road often.... In the UK they dont, mind boggling!!

That's how it goes. I suppose it just goes to show that in the UK we pay more for the vehicle and get a lesser specification.

For me: Pajero vs Shogun? Pajero every time.
A bit more work on the insurance side, however you can get for the same price as the Shoggy AND you get all the extra toys that the UK's "poor cousin" has missing.
Regards,
Simon
Red / Silver 1992 Pajero SWB 2.5 TD XRII Wide Body. 5 Cog Manual Box, 24 to the gallon and lovin' it!
The Devil made me do it, but God said it was alright by him!

Offline joker777

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 08:10:33 »
Quote from: "Simon_Doc"
Quote from: "robbie"

That's how it goes. I suppose it just goes to show that in the UK we pay more for the vehicle and get a lesser specification.

For me: Pajero vs Shogun? Pajero every time.
A bit more work on the insurance side, however you can get for the same price as the Shoggy AND you get all the extra toys that the UK's "poor cousin" has missing.
Regards,
Simon

totaly agree :wink:

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 08:16:37 »
Had a Pajero and was reasonable low mileage but coughed its guts and killed the cam,rockers and head. Now have Shogun 2.8 with all bash guards and rear difflock. Dont use it hard anymore off road but it has been used. Oh mines now done 30k for me with no toruble and still has a full mitsi service history. So in my book Shogun wins..unless you can guarantee the mileage/service history/ leaglity of the pajero. No one has mentioned the reason it isnt called a pajero in europe,its nothing to do with spec but the fact its a rude word in Spanish.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

PikeyPaj

pajero or shogun???
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 07:47:20 »
My one is a Pajero but as the name suggests is Pikey - I think it is worse spec than the Shogun - oh well im not complaining, less to go wrong!

Offline Bluebottle

Attack Member
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 19:04:11 »
Quote from: "Bulli"
No one has mentioned the reason it isnt called a pajero in europe,its nothing to do with spec but the fact its a rude word in Spanish.

Hate to spoil a popular misconception but it's not. Pajero means Farmworker, more specifically one who uses a scythe. Pajiero is the rude word, it means someone who makes a similar hand movement. Close enough though for Spanish markets, that is why they're called Monteros there. The reason they're called Shoguns in the UK is solely down to the TV series Shogun.

Roobarb, a www.bullfrog4x4.co.uk production

"I shall not dance with you for three reasons. First because you are drunk; second, because this is not a waltz but the Peruvian national anthem; and third, because I am not a beautiful lady in red; I am the Cardinal Bishop of Lima."

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
pajero or shogun???
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 21:58:31 »
A Mistubishi Shogun is also a Server - anywhere but the UK.Odd huh? Imagine my surprise when I went to Dublin to replace the HDD in one ;-)
--
Neil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal