AuthorTopic: Does it just need a good run ?  (Read 834 times)

Offline stevepage3

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Does it just need a good run ?
« on: May 18, 2009, 19:58:30 »
My 2.25 Series 3 Diesel starts straight away after 10 seconds on the glowplugs, and then smokes only slightly on tickover, however if I give it a quick rev and let off I get a big cloud of white smoke.

If I keep my foot on the smoke clears. At the moment it doesn't have an MOT and I have not driven it on the road since buying it to restore, do you think that this problem will clear up after a good run. Also if I leave it ticking over until it gets hot, i get black oil like liquid dripping from the exhaust, I think this is just soot and water.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Steve

Offline Dave123

Attack Member
Re: Does it just need a good run ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 17:58:09 »
White smoke indicates water. I could be that because it has been sat for a while that water has built up in the exhaust from condensation and turns to steam when the engine is started and comes out when revved.

It could however be water leaking into a piston some how and dissapearing when the water is all turned to steam when you hold your foot on the accelerator.

Have you done any engine work or anything recently? could be the head gasket if it's not been checked already. Or like you say, could need just a good run. If you havn't done any engine work on it check the oil cap for white gunge and same for the dipstick. and check to see if your water level is going down slowly.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 18:13:29 by Paul »
Pull my finger :D

Offline stevepage3

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 19:57:35 »
Have not checked the head gasket, but have had the rocker cover off and there is no sign of white gunge in there. Water level seems to be staying the same, although I have only been able to start it up and let it tickover until it get up to temp.

For a diesel engine it starts incredibley well. almost too good.

I am hoping that I just need to get it on the road and give it a good run, but am slightly concerned that with it smoking as is I won't get it through an MOT.

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 23:48:35 »
my old 2.25 did something like that, but had no problems passing the emissions tests. you'll find that if you just run it on tickover a lot you will get soot building up in places, and also condensation. a good blast will clear that out tho, so its not the end of the world.

all you can really do is take it for a run before the MOT and make sure they test it when its up to temperature
the engines are over cooled for the UK, so actually cool down a lot on tickover, especially if you have the engine driven fan on it.
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal